1 year old won't eat textured foods

My son turned 1 two weeks ago and he still won't eat any food with texture. He'll only eat really smooth purees. Anything else he'll gag and/or vomit. He doesn't eat table food, he doesn't eat mashed up fruit, or cookies or anything only like the jarred babyfood for 4 months and up or if we puree banana and other fruit for him. Is that normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Jul. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal and there are things you can do to help him with that. I know many parents *as I worked in day care for 5 years* that went through this with occupational therapy. You would just contact your pediatrician if you really want to do that. If you don't want to do that I would just let him be. He could come around. If there is any real food that he will eat give him that in the time being. I'd say by two if he is not on real food then I would push it with the pediatrician but right now is not too big of a problem. Some would even give it only 1 and a half. What you can do on your own is find food that he likes in jars..for example mac and cheese. Make mac and cheese for him...put it on his tray and let him mess around with it at meal times. Every meal time let him do this with safe foods and sure enough at one point or another it will make it to his mouth.
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• Cut up the banana instead of pureeing it and let him play with it. But I would not offer a jar to him after he has spent time with the real food like *5 min* to start. And then increasing the time after a while.
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 1:31 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• My son is in his early 20's and still won't eat jello because it doesn't feel right in his mouth.. He's been like that since kindergarten.
    EgoSumLamia

Answer by EgoSumLamia at 1:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• though your son is young, it is possible that he has something called oral defensiveness. you could google it to see if he displays other symptoms of it. i know a decent amount about it as i see it often, im an occupational therapy assistant and it's very common for kids to display signs like that when they are orally defensive. if you are truly that concerned your best bet is to talk to your pediatrician and possibly have him evaluated by Occupational therapy and/or speech therapy! good luck!!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 6:13 PM on Jul. 27, 2011