Should I let my nine yr old daughter get a perm?

SUPERMOM57

Asked by SUPERMOM57 at 2:34 PM on Jul. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• they make you sign a wavier for a reason. kids hair is tricky!!!!!!! it's up to you (and her, to a point)
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:35 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• I am a hairdresser and here is the truth of a perm before your daughter has hit puberty...It won't hold..won't last...there are certain oils in childrens bodies that prevent the perm from lasting for a long period of time. Once she hits puberty her body chemicals will change and then I'd let her get a perm.. You'll be wasting your money otherwise. :)
    momma-t42

Answer by momma-t42 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• no
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• For me, I think waiting until 12 for something like a perm is a good idea. Don't ask me why...12 just seems a good age for perms, make-up etc.
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 2:36 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• you can yes, however I'd let her talk to the stylist about the best perm options for her and at home care before getting it done.. you can pm me, I'm a stylist, and can give you some tips you may want to discuss with her about proper care, how to style it, etc.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:37 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't! There are chemicals in the products they use to give someone a perm that aren't good for anyone- let alone a 9 year old! I told my daughter for years how happy she will be when she is older and she has the prettiest and healthiest hair of all of her friends by not dying it or doing anything else that will damage her lovely locks! She listened, and now at 18- she always thanks me for the advice :) She has the most amazing and healthy hair!
    cheapsally

Answer by cheapsally at 2:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• It may be because I have had a horrible experience with perm myself, but I would not allow my 9 year old daughter get a perm.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 2:38 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• 9?? no too young.
    sweetsinglemama

Answer by sweetsinglemama at 2:39 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• No.

My SIL wanted one, but our hairdresser said that a lot of times it doesn't take if you haven't gone through puberty. So it could be wasted money.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 2:40 PM on Jul. 27, 2011

• momma-t46, thats not always true, it depends on the type of hair the child has.. if it's stick straight and oily, yes that can be true, however if there is a natural wave or curl already then the same doesn't hold true at all. And you can find adult hair that can be just as tricky to perm..

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:41 PM on Jul. 27, 2011