I feel so bad!

I just feel like the worst mom ever. I was just trimming my baby's nail and accidentally cut his thumb. It is bleeding. I hate trimming his nails! Does anyone have any advice on the subject?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 1:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• gosh none i let my mil do it...i have cut my lo's too!!!
    i heard normal adult clippers do better then the baby ones
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Instead of cutting them how about using a nail file to just file them down if you can.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:34 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Awww, I know it makes you feel horrible, but it happens to us all! Try one of the tiny nail files if you don't feel comfortable trimming. It gets easier though, eventually you will be trimming like a pro.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• The first time this happened to me I cried:( But like MidnightMama said you will soon be a pro:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i bite my daughters fingernails, that way i can feel the quick and wont get her finger, or file them :)
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Do it when he's sleeping and if you're not comfortable with using clippers any more then use a file of bite them. Try baby clippers that have a larger handle, they can be hard to hold sometimes. One thing I've done with my kids is wait till they are long enough and they start to peel at the side and then I just tear it across. Worked like a charm but only when they still have the new born nails.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I cut my son's once and didn't even know it...I guess he didn't either cuz I saw little drops of blood in his bassinet and a tiny tiny scab on his finger so I put 2 an 2 together. I do it while he's sleeping and start on one side and make sure I can see that I got the nail. I bit them off when I was visiting family and didn't have clippers. I usually cut them once a week cuz they grow so fast. I have also done like the pp and cut one side and tear the rest but you still have to cut the other side cuz it left a little sharp point.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:26 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• my baby nail set came with a file,so i file her nails,but befor i would bite hers when sewas to tiny
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Once my son is asleep, I use those little clippers that you use for hangnails and cuticle trimming.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• do it while your baby is asleep....way easier
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 10:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008