JW's...Is it okay for you to tell someone Merry Christmas?

Today i heard a knock at my door. I answered it and a very nice older lady was there. I talked to her for a few minutes. She asked me if I would take her magazines and I did. As she was leaving I didn't even think and I said (like I would to anyone leaving my house this time of year) " Merry Christmas!" As soon as the words left my mouth I felt my foot take thier place! I know that you don't celebrate Christmas! I didn't even think about it when it flew out of my mouth. But, to my surprise she wished me a Merry Chirstmas back!

Just wondering if that was okay? Was she just being polite and said it back? Should she have said it? I had friends that were JW that I worked with for many years and I was always very careful to make sure I didn't wish them Merry Christmas. It just really threw me that she said it back.

Thanks!

Nika75

Asked by Nika75 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• she was probally just being polite
    my mom is JW and every time some one wishes her "happy holidays", or "merry christmas", she usually just responds with "you too"
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Shes coming to your door, you tell her whatever you want to tell her.
    nicholeluvslucy

Answer by nicholeluvslucy at 12:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I've always found JW to be polite. So I'm sure she was just being friendly and nice.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I've always said "You too" back, but prefer when someoen wishes me a happy holidays.. it's more polite
    JennBear54

Answer by JennBear54 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think she was just being nice or just repeated back your salutation, if someone say Marry Christmas I usually say "have a nice day", I don't go out of my way to say I don't celebrate Christmas so as not to make them uncomfortable, if they ask what I'm doing for Christmas I do say I don't Celebrate, and if they ask "why not" then do I explain.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Well, I sure didn't know that.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My brother is a JW (convert) and he has always said that if it's his family he doesn't mind getting a Christmas card or letter, I think sometimes he feels left out. When I send out holiday cards, I try to send him a regular card because that's when I send out family pictures and I want to include him without being insensitive to his beliefs. I think most people understand that you are simply wishing them well regardless of the words you use; at least I hope they do.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 9:01 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm sure she wants to be nice and polite. It's not a big deal. I don't wish anybody Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkak but I wil say Thanks if you wish to me. I won't wonder when I see a question like this: Does JW eat or sleep like normal people?. For the God's love, JW are normal people some of them are a little strict but everybody is in some way. In this world you have to respect and tolerate everybody. By the way, I love all my family and friends, those are Catholic, Christian, Jews, Muslim, JW or whatever. I love you'all and wish you blessings every single day.
    Ilovesunflowers

Answer by Ilovesunflowers at 10:43 AM on Dec. 29, 2009