Do you (or did you) wipe your son down with a baby wipe when he would pee in a diaper?

If I wipe my son down every time, he gets a rash, and I didn't think it was a big deal because he's a boy. I'm a first time mom, and if this is a must do thing, I would like to know.

honestycounts

Asked by honestycounts at 12:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't. Diapers are so absorbant now a days that I don't think it is necessary. If he is getting a rash when you wipe him maybe he is alergic to the wipes. Try using a wet wash cloth.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 12:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• NO I don't and ever since I stopped I notice that we save on wipes too. Infant pee is germ free so no need to really
    motherofzander

Answer by motherofzander at 12:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I did, due too the fact that I didn't want him smelling like urine. however, if you have rash problems.. I suggest triple paste... it works like a charm.
    Jfort29485

Answer by Jfort29485 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I don't wipe my son down unless he has an extremely full diaper, once in a while I'll wipe him down if I can see the moisture from the diaper on his skin, but I had the same problem with wipes if I over use them on him they irritate his skin and cause diaper rashes... I've found that if you feel you MUST wipe after the baby only urinates keeping a wet rag on you or nearby to use this has less of the chemical make up that wipes do
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:57 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I have a girl and I don't wipe her down every time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:58 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• No, I didn't with any of them, unless they were soaked or I could smell it. They never smelled bad.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• No, I didn't. If he was super wet I would, but not everytime!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I did everytime with all four 3 boys and 1 girl. Urine contains sodium chloride (salt) and ammonia. Leaving any trace of that on my childs skin was unacceptable. I only used wipes with no alcohol, no scents.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:46 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I dont think it is nessary to wipe them unless the diaper was very full. As far as getting the rash when you wipe him too much, you should try to buy some nonscented wipes or natural wipes they are the same price as the regular or scented ones.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2008