• In the Spotlight:

How do I deal with potty refusal?

Dayna1107

Asked by Dayna1107 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You never force them to go. Always offer it before and after nap etc.They will be ready on there own. Mine is 2 and a half and a hates the feel of a dirty diaper, She takes it off and brings it me.
    Dawn82551

Answer by Dawn82551 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son was nearly 4 when he became fully potty trained. After trying several times since he was 2, I finally had to use tough love. I took off his diapers and let him go "commando". I told him that if he soiled the floor, he would have to clean it up. After one accident on the floor, he cleaned it up and has gone straight to the potty ever since. This is a kid who absolutely REFUSED to go the potty no matter what. Sometimes, tough love works!
    mom_2byz

Answer by mom_2byz at 11:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It depends on for what reason they are refusing. If they are just being defiant, I'd just let them mess themselves, and then let them clean it up. (with your oversight of course) If it's for other reasons, like my DD has ANOTHER UTI, and is refusing to go b/c it stings, that's a different story, I use alot of encouragement and coaxing for that. They're all different, you'll just have to try alot of different things. Try making potty time fun. If you have a boy, throw some cheerios in there and tell them try to hit it! lol. My kids always like those blue toilet bowl cleaner things that turns the water blue. They they pee in it and make it green! lol That is always a big hit for us!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008