Can I still breastfeed if I'm sick?

I have a cold and I'm starting to get a scratchy throat. Is it still ok to nurse my son or should I use milk that I have stored? And second, does anyone know any medicine I can take that's safe for me to continue nursing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes you can still breastfeed. and for a cold i would just drink some hot tea, htere is a good breathe easy tea. a cold you cant make go away so take the lightest meds possible or just drink some tea and for the scratchy throat eat some cough drops.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Agreed, you can as long as you aren't taking strong medication. The antibodies will get to your baby through the breastmilk so it's actually better for him if you do nurse.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 2:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Don't know about the medication, but I had the same question when i got sick and actually your baby was exposed to being sick long before you even got sick. You give him antibodies through your breast milk, so keep feeding. Chances are even if he does get sick, it won't be near as bad as what you got and he would have gotten sick regardless of if you stopped feeding.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• YES YES YES!!! You should DEFINITELY breastfeed when sick- not only do you pass on healthy antibodies to your baby by breastfeeding, but baby passes those antibodies back to you!!!

The way the body works is quite amazing!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 2:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Yeah don't stop bf, if you do your supply will go down. You are making your baby stronger in fact! Keep it up, I know you feel crappy but just work through it and you two will be fine :) Hope you feel better soon!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Yes you can.

Why do you need to take anything? A cold will clear up on its own...just make sure you are getting enough fluids and eating ltos of fruits and greens.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 4:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2008