Inducing....

So I'm due on Jan. 6th.. but my husband and I have 3ish goal dates that we are hoping for... either somewhere between the 29th and 30th or the first on the first lol you know first new years baby .. or jan 7th..
but my doctor said that if my cervix isn't favorable then they can start with a gel or something to put on my cervix to start the softening and i know it helps some women get kick started into labor.. but I wanted to know how fast it would work or how fast it has worked for someone or people you know or any advice...

Jan0609momma

Asked by Jan0609momma at 2:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I've put this in answers before but this is a good clue as to how induction works. You need to have a favorable bishop's score http://www.amazingpregnancy.com/pregnancy-articles/173.html if you have one the chance your induction will work is really good and labor should come fast and be successful. If your bishop's score is unfavorable they could try to use the various methods for induction but they could fail. Example I had been at 3cm and 80% soft for 3 week with fifth pregnancy. Another mom was on the same induction schedule with first baby and wasn't as far dilated and soft as me but we were due same day. I progressed and had my baby that night she went home the same time I did me with baby her with out. I ran into her a year later she had to go back a week after and had hers at that time.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I'm sorry I don't have an answer for ya but I'm curious about this too. I'm due January 12th but the baby is already 8 pounds and I'm dilated to 3 cm and in less than a week, I'll be considered "full term" where I can give birth without the baby having any difficulties so I want to get him out of by by the 29th or after the 5th [but not between, too many family members with birthdays then], hopefully by the 29th cuz I want him NOW really :D This is our second and I am SO excited about him! Anyway, yeah, I'm wondering the same thing....
    rethink911

Answer by rethink911 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• First, this product works different for all women. Are you dialated at all right now? I was over due with my daughter, not dialated at all. And they tried the gel, it didnt work for me (not saying it wont work for you everyone is different). Eventually I had to go to the hospital to get induced, with pitocin and a pill that they used to soften my cervix and the pill worked WONDERS for me lol. Best of luck with the delivery. And no matter what day your baby is born it will be AMAZING!!! Congrats!
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 3:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Every woman reacts differently to the gel (or any induction method). I had the oral version of the gel, and it helped get things going. My water head broken, and I started having contractions, but they were still irregular. I was in active labor within 3 hours of taking Cytotec (the oral prostaglandin), but again, I was already contracting, and my water had broken.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:44 AM on Dec. 20, 2008