My daughter has excessive earwax. How do I get rid of this??

My 8 year olds ears are DISGUSTING! it's so bad that you can see the wax! She was laying in bed listening to her iPod and when she fell asleep I took it away and put it on her vanity. Her Dad was looking everywhere for his earbuds the next morning and remembered that she was on her iPod the night before and ran in grabbed his headphones and left for work. He was on the train and went to listen to his iPod grabbed his earbuds and realized they were covered in wax! YUCK! I think she needs her own headphones lol. I've tried Debrox, and hydrogen peroxide in her ears and 2 days later they are gross again. I think I have to take her to the doctor to have them clean her ears. My question is this... Have you or your child had wax removed at the doctor? Does it hurt? And do I need to take her to an E.N.T or can our family doctor do it?

Crzymom010203

Asked by Crzymom010203 at 2:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes my son did have his ears cleaned by the doc. It didn't hurt but you would be surprised and the stuff that came out of there. It was stuff that you wouldn't be able to see just by looking into the ear. Family doctor can do it.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Thank you :)
    Crzymom010203

Comment by Crzymom010203 (original poster) at 2:19 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• My daughter has a lot of wax too, so much that sometimes she can't hear well. I took her to the pediatrician but she told us that there was nothing she could do about it. *sigh*
    I have had ear wax removed at a dr's office several different times as a teen and as an adult. One time was a family physician who used some kind of tool to "dig" it out, another was a nurse who used warm water in a syringe to wash it out, and one time was at an ear nose and throat specialist who suctioned it out. The syringe with water felt weird but didn't hurt, the other two ways were a little bit painful but mostly just uncomfortable.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:24 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• My son has the family doctor do it. Not painful. Have you tried earwax candles? We use them and a lot of stuff comes out. And my son thinks it's cool to look at afterwards.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Thanks for all the info.
    Crzymom010203

Comment by Crzymom010203 (original poster) at 2:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• You can also use a product called Debrox... our doc suggested it to clean my son's ears... works great!! http://www.essentialsforlivingwell.com/products/debrox/Default.aspx

I was curious about the ear candles and found this... worth a read any ways http://www.emaxhealth.com/113/1/24367.html

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• What are earwax candles?
    Crzymom010203

Comment by Crzymom010203 (original poster) at 2:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I think there is a pic in that link... google it for better info . Good luck ;o)
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:49 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• my step daughter has grommist in her ears and need wax out dr told me to get her some cooking oil and put it in her ears it get the ways to slid right out lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:06 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• We just had ear wax removed from my 5yo's ears by an ENT in prep for a hearing test. He was getting it out and she kept squirming. Finally, worried he'd end up hurting her, he gave me a prescription for ear drops. Gave them to her for a week and then we went back and the wax was very easily removed. He got quite a bit out.

I've had it done myself. It did not hurt, but it feels weird. Your 8 year old should probably be able to sit still for it.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:17 AM on Jul. 28, 2011