the use of the "N" word

I am not trying to start drama but I have a question. Last night my DH & I were in a bar playing pool and the DJ was playing hip-hop/rap music. i am curios why it's okay for the "N" word to be used in the "songs" and the young black men can call each other that word BUT if I, as a 52 yr old caucasian woman called one of them that word I would be considered prejudiced?

WAganma56

Asked by WAganma56 at 5:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My take on the n word: It is highly offensive coming from anyone. It shouldn't be used in the 21st century. It's sad that it has become popular and seems to be intertwined within the hip-hop community (which reaches everyone, globally).

Because there is a history of oppression connected to and behind the word, it is very unacceptable for white people or other races to call a black person any derivative of the word. For some blacks, it is accepted to call each other that word. They know when that word is used they know that isn't used out of hatred, as opposed to whites using the word. Blacks won't confuse other blacks for meaning it to be hateful or racist as they would whites.
    prettylob1

Answer by prettylob1 at 7:41 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• it doesn't make sense it is stupid ...if its wrong for certain people to say it, it should be bad for all people to say it.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 5:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• it is i dont want to say term of endearment but i cant find any other words to put it in. you'll see a black man say to another black man "hey my nigga" and its a greeting and notice i said :nigga not nigger when whit people say it they use the er and they mean for it to be insulting. would you want a black perso to walk up to you and call you cracker
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 5:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• jodi.. i see what you are saying, but black people and mexicans and any other race can EASILY walk up to a white person call them a cracker or a honkey or whitey and get away with it.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 6:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• well i personall would have to say something if they came to me and called me a cracker if it were meant to be hostile or deroggatory towards me. i have had black friends that have called me that if it weren't for them bein dear friends no they wouldn't get away with it. and i wouldn't go around calling people nigger just cuz i think i can
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i dated a guy that used to call my by my middle name (i hate my middle name by the way) but i adored it when he called me that and he is the only one that was every allowed to get away with it . so i look at it that way
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:25 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It's the Stockholm syndrome.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• whats the stockholm sydrome
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I would never say it, but I do agree iwth what you are saying.
    If a teen hear's it in a song and says it as it is referenced in the song, is that ok? Even if he is white? I would rather NO ONE say it. Why make light of such a disrespectful word. If the meaning of the word has changed, then has it changed for ALL? Or only for a few?
    Webster Dictionary defines it as an offensive word. It should be acknowledged as such for ALL. Otherwise there is a double standard, imo.
    Not trying to offend, just trying to understand...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It is just wrong period. If you want the word going from our vocabulary then no one should say it. I can't justify the N word as a term of endearment---it is a vicious racial slur. I'm not going to let someone call me a bitch nicely for crying out loud. I don't find your post offensive in the least, but this is a now win no change situation. When the word was symbolically buried--the Detroit mayor used it to incite anger over his behavior. You can't use it when you want and tell others they can't. I would never use it, but to be gone with it---all races need to stop saying it, which sadly won't happen.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2008