I need to find a job ASAP or we'll be homeless.

I am in DIRE need of a job. We are two months behind in our mortgage, I have spent every minute of every day looking for a job with no results. I am educated, experienced and almost 43. I have been told that I'm "over qualified". I have alot of education, but it's all technical schools and real estate.

I have seriously considered working from home but have yet to find anything that is legitimate or that will pay anything, even if it is legitimate.

If you know of anything, we would really appreciate any leads and would definitely pay it forward.

Thank you for any input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Jul. 28, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think its time to take that supermarket job, or really ANYTHING that will help. It may not pay the bills, but it will pay some of them and creditors look at things like that as progress. You can always try to apply as a manager or assistant manager, but don't count on the pay being very much anyway. Good luck!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Have you tried a temp service for professionals? in my area, we have several and many of my friends have used the service, which led them to full-time employment.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 8:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I have tried the temp services, I'm registered with five, I have just been overlooked or something. It's taken me calling them, crying to get them to acknowledge my interest.

I have tried the grocery stores, but it's my husband that has a problem with the closing hours they give the new people, me. I would have to close every night and every weekend. I also would never see my kids. Unfortunately, the grocery stores are mostly union, so they don't care about "your situation". It's more like, "You get what you get" and if you don't like the hours, oh well.

I am KILLING myself looking for work all day every day and following it all up with phone calls to pull my resume "out of the heap".

It's VERY frustrating. It's not like I dropped out of high school, career criminal, crack head, uneducated, inexperienced either. I've done everything by the book. Educated, experienced, but my credit is shot. Help.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• You could do what my cousin did. She was also looking for a job and couldn't seem to get one. you could hold a babysitter day care type of thing from your home. you can watch your nieghbors kids during the day while their parents are working .during the day. She gets $10.00 hr. her hour s are 6am to 6pm. .So she works 12hours a day .and gets 120 .00 dallars a day. but I think she saids she charges weekly.she watches 4 kids plus her three. makew sure you tell them that brothers and sister are seperate they are not a together deal. So far she loves it and even made friends wirth the parents. . know she saids she makes her own money and does what ever she wants with it.. good luck.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 9:21 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Have you talked to your friends? Where do they work? Are there any job openings where they are? Can they throw in a good word, talk to the boss, get you an interview? Networking can be your saving grace. What are the big industries do you live? Here in Texas it's Oil and Gas. Find out the names of all the companies, find what job openings they have and apply apply apply. What about tourism? Any big hotels? Maybe the need HR people, maybe event coordinators... Prisons, police stations? Maybe they need admin? Who knows!!! Don't rule out jobs because they have late hours. Take WHATEVER pays the bills. Get on it girl friend. You'll find something!
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• When it comes to working from home, businesses are the ones that will bring in the full time income plus more. However, I'll be honest. Your not in a position to start one. You don't start out with that income. It takes time to build up. It took me four months with Scentsy and I worked hard to get there. You are going to have to take whatever job you have to. My husband is military and wanted to get out to go to school. He can't do thatso he's going to be doing both full time. He's going to rarely see us but he has to do it if he wants to go in as an officer. Take any job you can and continue your search. You will at least have some money coming in or start the home businesses while your working until it takes off then your home. It you go that route, make sure you choose the right business. Send me a message and I can tell you if it's a goo business or not.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 9:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Would hubby rather see you working closing hours from the living room or under a bridge? He needs to wake up and face the fact that you NEED the job and the money, I know it's rough to work so you don't see your kids as often as you want, but you have to put a roof over their heads no matter what the cost. It doesn't sound to me like you have any room at all to be picky, better get what ever you can for now and worry about picking your job later.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 10:27 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Can you set up doing eBay at home?  You could start by selling things are the house and then branch out to finding things at garage sales and thrift stores?  Are fast food restaurants hiring in your area?  You could always pick up a couple jobs doing that.  Also try Walmart, Toys R Us and those types of retail stores....  What I have done in the past, when I know I am over qualified is NOT submit a Resume with an application, especially for the afore-mentioned places.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:00 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Wow! If I were about to lose my home I wouldn't give a rat's behind what the hours were if I had a job. My Mom worked the nightshift AND a part time job during the day to take care of us. It sounds like your hubby needs to grow up. Getting your foot in the door is critical..you can always get a better position, pay or hours later.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• The unemployment rate keeps going up and it is very discouraging. I do have a few suggestions, though (I do career and job search coaching).
    Number 1 is networking; Cafemom is a start, but you need to actively seek out people and groups that can help you meet people who can connect you to someone hiring. Less the half of the available positions are posted on the job boards; you need to get out and find the others. A profile on Linkedin is a must!
    Number 2 is having a great "elevator speech". This is a 15 second introduction on who you are and what you are looking for.
    Number 3 is a great resume that tells the reader who you are, what you can do, what you have accomplished, and how you can help.
    Number 4 is great coverletters tailored to the position/company.
    Number 5 is using one of the meta search sites, like Indeed or Simply Hired, to comb the job boards for you

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2011