your baby can read?

what do u guys think of this? personally as an early childhood major i feel it is pushing them to grow to fast and as a kindergarten teacher how bored will this child be when everone else islearning just my personal opionion what r your thoughts

HisServant4ever

Asked by HisServant4ever at 8:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was reading by the time I was 3 yrs old. I was in a 5th gr reading level by Kindergarten. It really helped me I believe in life because I had a better self confidence in my reading performance then other children the same age. My youngest who will turn 4 in Feb can read as well, and does it very well. I dont think its wrong or pushing your child. When they are young they better absorb information around them & can learn quicker then when they are older. I think if we can start them young theres actually less pressure because they are already learning everything around them so they wouldnt know any difference, thus no pressure.

Answer by gemgem at 8:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I taught myself to read at four years old, thanks to my mom always doijgnt hings with me like singing the alphabet song. One day I just made the connection between letters and the sounds they make when you say them, and just put them together. However, this is waaay different than the way my 5 y/o is being taught to read today. She is being taught "sight words" which means she is basically memorizing the look of the words, in my opinion. To me, there is a huge difference between being able to recognize a certain number of memorized words, and being able to sound out, comprehend, and pronounce a new word when presented to you. Does that make sense?
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It makes sense to me. I learned to read in the same manner you did, plus being read to and asked to read along. My kids were taught with sight words and I dont think it does them any service because they still need to learn the letters,sounds and what not.

Answer by gemgem at 8:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• On a post about reading, I just realized how horrendous my spelling was! Please forgive me, I am seriously sleep deprived at the moment, lol.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• One more thing, I must say that my oldest daughter has a very high vocabulary and reads at a college level (she's 13). I truly see the benefits with early reading, but she also learned the same way I did.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:54 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I don't agree with pushing children to read at such an early age, instead they shoud be working on their social skills and problem solving skills. Reading will come when they are ready. I also don't think that they are at an advantage if they are way ahead of their classmates, they will be bored in school and some cause problems.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• marnapotter stop exagerrating and go get some sleep
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think that if a child wants to read then let them learn and help them learn BUT DON'T PUSH IT. Its not a race to see who can read before anyone else...its all about them liking to learn without feeling like they are letting you down if they can't read by a certain time. My daughter loves when I read to her, and I want her to enjoy books and not view them as something negative yaknow. I think that when they are ready then they are ready...but it is certainly not a race...
    iLuVmYMaDiSoN07

Answer by iLuVmYMaDiSoN07 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I bought this system for my two babies just because after taking human anatomy and learning a little about the brain.. I understand how neurons work....lol and that the brain is almost i think 70% developed by the age of two... there is a window for learning language and it closes before they start kindergarten. I honestly believe that if we wait to teach our kids anything until they get to kindergarten we are doing a grave disservice to our children. The videos that come in that "your baby can read" system are very entertaining and my son has fun... i dont feel like im pushing him. This doctor believes to use both systems of reading.... phonetics too
    ashley8406

Answer by ashley8406 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• As a 5th year special educator going for my masters to be a reading specialist here's my 2 cents.

I don't see how it could be harmful to try. As far as being bored in Kindergarten, it is the job of that teacher to differentiate to individual child need. If a child is ahead, it is the teacher's JOB to make the work challenging for them. Even if the teacher doesn't take the time to do this, I'd rather give my child extra skills and have them be "bored" for a year until 1st grade. They will still be getting the social interaction and structure of school if nothing else.
    jenluv37

Answer by jenluv37 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008