• In the Spotlight:

Is is okay to put a booster seat in the front seat?

I am helping a friend out next week for Christmas. He has to work and his daughter is on Christmas break from school. I wanted to help pass the time by taking everyone to the mall one day. I don't know if her booster will fit in the back seat of my car. I have two car seats back there already. Her father is pretty strict about her sitting in a booster. So, is it okay to put it in the front seat? Or should I figure out a way to cram all the seats in the back?

angeladh82

Asked by angeladh82 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't know which state you are in, but I would adhere to both the laws of the state and the father's requirements. If she is under 5 feet tall and your vehicle has passenger side airbags, I would say absolutely not, regardless of the laws in your state.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 1:44 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No, it would be safer, IMO, to have her in the back with no booster. But ask her dad. You could get a ticket anyway with a booster in the front.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 9:38 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• You need to find out about the laws in your State, about this. Most States require kids to be a certain height or weight to sit in the front seat of the car.

Answer by louise2 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• As long as you can turn off the passenger airbag then it should be fine, if you can't turn it off then she will have to sit in the back seat.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• You can likely fit 3 seats in the back seat of your car, I've done it! Sometimes it takes some rearranging. Are you sure you want to take a trip to the mall with the Christmas crazies that are out there?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Squeeze the booster into the backseat. If you don't have enough safety belts I would skip the trip to the mall.

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/404_when-can-my-child-safely-ride-in-the-front-seat-of-a-car_69792.pc
    runawaybunny

Answer by runawaybunny at 10:30 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Without knowing hold old or how big she is, I would err on the side of caution and say if you can't put all three seats in the backseat, then stay home. With all of the crazies that are out driving during the holiday season, you don't want to take a chance, especially with someone else's child. There are also your state laws to consider. It might be best to just find something fun to do at home and not risk someone getting hurt.
    jsnzmom

Answer by jsnzmom at 11:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• personally, i'd skip the trip to the mall during this time...doesn't seem like it would be that much fun. secondly, there's no way in hades i'd have a kid in the front seat. if you gotta "cram" them all in there, then that doesn't sound too safe or fun either, does it? how about baking cookies or making ornaments instead. they'd probably have a better and safer time being at home with the christmas music going.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 11:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Oh man, there is no WAY I would put a kid that is still in a booster in the front seat. If she has to be in a booster, she is OBVIOUSLY not big enough for the front. In some states no one under 15 is allowed in the front of a car. Plus, you have to defer to the wishes of her father. I agree with the previous poster, bake cookies, or make ornaments, or make home made Christmas cards, turn on the Christmas music and have a good time. MUCH better than risking all the crazies out driving this time of year.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 1:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No, no, no, no. I have 2 carseats in my backseat and when I have my neice I STILL do everything I can to fit them all back there. Instead of leaving why don't you bundle them up and have them make snowangels and snowmen in the back yard? It is just not worth it, think of how you would feel if something awful happened while you were on the road. If the dad is really strict on Boosters just think of how he would feel if he knew that you were putting her in the front seat.

I know that some people drive trucks and have no choice but you do have a choice so...

Also, on a side note, if you would not put your child in the front seat you should not put someone else's child there.

jspy72

Answer by jspy72 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008