What will your next major purchase be and how do you feel about it?

I always get anxiety about spending a large amount of money, especially if it is a "luxury" item.
After we pay our taxes, we are buying our plane tickets to Florida for our Disney trip this summer, and I am buying a dishwasher. My daughter will be at the perfect age for Disney and will find all of the princesses and activities completely magical...plus it is her first real vacation (I'd like to keep this up and do something every year). As for the dishwasher...that is COMPLETELY FOR ME. I have never owned a dishwasher and I despise dishes, so I'm as excited about that as I am for the vacation.
I still get really anxious about it though...it starts running through my mind that I should be saving it or what else the money could go toward...and if I really "need" whatever I'm buying. Even though I know the money is there and that I've saved it for the purpose I'm using it for, I still get anxiety!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Money & Work

• Don't be anxious about your purchases. It is wonderful that you can get enjoyment from your money, have a wonderful time, with both!
    As unglamorous as it is, our next major purchase will likely be a septic tank! Ours is over 30 years old and has to be on its way out. How do I feel about it? LOL! One of those necessities that you don't think about until it is broken. :)

Answer by Bmat at 11:27 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• We will be buying a deep freeze very soon as we have three deers and almost a whole bear in our friends. I get anxiety about spending $50 dollars, so I totally understand how you feel. Even though I know we need it, I stress if we can afford it. We are military and are on fixed income. It's not like he can work overtime, we make the same amount every month.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:09 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If you have a fully funded emergency account, and you are not in credit card debt--enjoy. But you should have at least 3-6 months of expenses saved in case of an emergency. And you shouldn't be carrying any credit card debt or else the purchases are foolish use of your money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No, we contribute to our savings, our retirements, and our child's education fund every month and we don't have any credit cards or loans...it doesn't seem to matter though I still get this anxiety about spending the money because it could always get put in the bank...I'll see that CD rates are good or that we still have a little we could contribute before we hit the maximum on our retirement contributions for taxes...silly, I'm sure, but once I make the purchase, I feel better because then its done...it is leading up to it that drives me nuts!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:48 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Well we have to pay $500 to get my hubbies car fixed because a tree fell on it in an ice storm last week. But I think in March we are going to buy 2 new house doors. I'm on with it because 1 door will only be $150 but another we have to special order and probably will be about $800 and that sucks. However our house is over 100 years old and we NEED to fix some things. I think after that we will be buying NOTHING until 2010 when we get our Kitchen remodeled if things are better with the economy. Hubby is due for a bonus in his 1st check in 2010 so we'll PRAY that we can do our kitchen. I'm just trying to put as much as possible into a Savings.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My next big purchase will be my washer,dryer,refrigator,stove and dishwasher for our home that we live in know.Our next big purchase will be our second house.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• im getting myself a Dyson and a Kitchen Aid standmixer at tax time! i just gave birth and have been very deserving of the uncle sam santa!!! i am planning to save 3000 bucks in the next 2 years to take my kids to disney land. [rpbab;y when we get our money for PCSing were gettinge verything fixed on the cars and probably new furniture.
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 12:12 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• We were debt free--and last week we signed all the papers to buy our business--now we are in debt 1 million---I can't even fathom that---so it is scary:-o So I will be watching every purchase!!!!!
    Anonymous

• A hot H2O heater & I am NOT looking forward to it !!

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008