Very timid dog

I've had my pup for almost 2 years now and we got her when she was about 12 weeks old. She was found under a shed and we believe there was some form of abuse to her. She's very timid and we're thankful that she got over her nervous squirts. But she is afraid of men, won't go near my husband if he's standing and cowers and pee's if we're on a walk and she see's men. She will shake and her hair will noticably fall out when she get's excited or scared.
Was just wondering if anyone has had this kind of experience with their dog and how they handled it and where they're at now.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 10:05 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pets

• My Louie was a stray and badly abused. He was very sick when we got him from the pound. He was terrified of men and boys who were about 11-12 years old...also anything with wheels like bikes, skateboards, carriages, etc. It took him 6 months to stop cringing when my ex called him. (Now you know why he's my ex!) It's now 10 years later and he has improved drastically. My new hubby had a lot to do with it. The minute Louie met him he gave a "happy yip" and so I knew it was okay to marry DH! He's calm and kind to Louie and Louie just adores him. He still does the losing hair thing (you should see the table in the vets office after his exam!).
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 3:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Some breeds are natural cowerers. Some dogs have been abused or scared to the point of psychosis....I have a female 7 yr old scottish deer hound with 3 legs that will growl and bark at my husband if he yells, moves fast towards me or has liquor on his breath she was a rescue dog she has gotten better with time and my husband has played ball with her and brushed her and gotten to be trusted by her BUT, I also have a cat that was left in a box on the side of the road for days as a 4 wk old kitten, she and her brother took 6months to venture out of my bathroom in my bedroom and over 1 year to go out into the rest of the house she (Katie) still cowers and flips out at loud noises and crowds.you could ask your vet for advice hope this helped
    Sowgood1

Answer by Sowgood1 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Oh my, Amanda and Sowgood! What heartbreaking stories! Bless you both for being so kind and gentle to your animal friends. Shame on those who abused them. They have good homes now.
    I agree, ask the vet. Perhaps a light tranquilizer might help.

Answer by Bmat at 10:45 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If it's been 2 years, she'll probably always be a timid dog.

My Lexie was very timid, particularly to men, when we first got her. But she improved sooo much in less than a year. We've had her for about 7 years now. She is still submissive, but she isn't stressed by meeting new people or dogs.

Cam
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 1:56 AM on Dec. 21, 2008