What green or earth friendly thing can you do today?

I am once, again, taking our recycled cans to Ronald McDonald house, but I am also going to put out some buckets to catch rain water to use for watering plants. (I live in the south -- we don't get snow :( but all my plants are indoors).
Give me some other inspiration, ladies!

KnoxvilleDoula

Asked by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I'll run water from the kitchen faucet into a gallon jug when I am running the water until it gets hot so I can wash dishes. I use the water in the jug to water my indoor plants. It saves just running the water down the drain. I also recycle paper and cans, glass, and plastic.

Answer by Bmat at 11:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I'm going to use a little baking soda when I wash my hair and face so it cuts down on the chemicals I use on myself :oD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:21 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Recycle more, but I do that alot anyway, take a shorter shower, and only flush when it's brown?? (even though to me that is sooo gross to go into a bathroom and see anything but clean water in the toilet - the kids are great at conserving water!). Not drive as much as I was planning on, I will only run ONE errand and skip the rest that are out of the way and save them until I am in those areas. I am only going out at all b/c we are expecting a snow storm.
    Dianne1259

Answer by Dianne1259 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Change all your light bulbs to fluorescent bulbs....Wash cloths in cold water. Put your cloths out side to dry instead of using the dryer. Wash dishes by hand.

Answer by louise2 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• we recycle alot, and i only flush when it's brown also (and my toilet makes alot of noise so i try not to wake the kids up, lol). to conserve more water i may put a brick in the toilet that way when i flush it doesn't use alot of water. driving is something we have to do in this area or we don't get nowhere cuz everything is too far away, so i make it a point to do all my errands in one day.
    MommaSyrup07

Answer by MommaSyrup07 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• These are GREAT, it makes me so happy -- keep them coming!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:43 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Sadly we didn't put up light's this year but make ourselves feel better about it because of the energy we are saving.
    We recycle everything!!! And we compost. My kids have cut down on the water in their baths. I will baithe the baby first and then throw the other two in after adding some more water to warm it up. Or depending on how adventurous I feel I'll do the 3 of them together.
    Wash the clothes in cold water.
    Use cloth diapers, I'm a bit obsessed with them.
    I use natural organic cleaners that are better for the enviroment.
    I was my hair about once every 3 or 4 days. It's half way down my back and takes a while to rinse.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Buy them bags for grocrey shopping that you can reuse!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 9:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Well, I didn't do all this today, but...
    Replace all incandescent bulbs with low watt fluorescent bulbs... Oops. Someone already covered that. Sorry.
    reusable grocery bags are great!
    We compost everything from papertowels to tissues to leftover Chinese food (the city composts it).
    Reusable bottles for water. We never buy bottled water.
    Um, my mind just went blank.
    Oh! Bamboo! I love everything made from bamboo. Softer than cotton and so much better for the environment to produce.
    Ghostfacebreeda

Answer by Ghostfacebreeda at 4:10 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Also, disposable products made from corn can be composted; like Method dust wipes.
    Ghostfacebreeda

Answer by Ghostfacebreeda at 4:12 AM on Dec. 21, 2008