grinding teeth...

hello ladies..

my nine month old has 4 teeth.. two bottom and two top.. and he is grinding them.. the sound sends chills down my spine.. how do i get him to stop.. and does it hurt his lil teeth to do this?...

anyone else have a lil one that grinds there teeth?...

ZakariasMom

Asked by ZakariasMom at 10:35 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that is the most horrible sound. my 1 yr old did that for a short time as well. it is all part of the process. my doctor told me to flick him on the cheek and say, "No" whenever he did it. he either grew out of it or flicking him worked because he stopped. you can also try to distract him when he starts doing it. in older children it is called bruxism and is related to stress and other factors, but not in babies this young. they are just becoming familiar with the different sounds and sensations that their bodies make and it may also help sooth them during teething.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:40 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It's normal. i asked my ped. not too long ago about that because my son did the same thing. They do it becuae they have new things in their mouth and it's a new sensation. My doc. said it was ok, and my son will have his first birthday next week saturday and he no longer does it. Don't worry your baby will grow out of it.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 3:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• good to know... thanks girls.
    ZakariasMom

Answer by ZakariasMom at 8:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008