Good starter food?

I plan on giving my daughter some food next month(she'll be almost 6 months), I would like to avoid using the rice cereal because frankly I cant pronounce half of the ingredients! Whats a good starter food? Any one have personal expierience with this?

jokermom

Asked by jokermom at 10:42 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Avocados are really good for a first food so are bananas just mash them down really well. I never used cereal for a first food. My first pedi told me not to so I used them last around 10 months. I actually did the jars of mixed meat with veggies first before I tried cereal which never went over big. None of my kids are picky eaters either. I think if you google Dr. Sears he has a section on first foods that is really complete. I haven't been to site in like 2 years but last time I was there I found it really informative.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I just started mine on food. I actually started with rice cereal but I went to green beans right after that. I figured I'd start with nasty veggie first then move to the sweeter fruits...
    brookes_mom04

Answer by brookes_mom04 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• its truly the best idea to start with rice cereals bc they can be thinned to the easiest consistency for a baby to begin eating. Most pediatricians say you should start with rice cereal ive had two completely different pedi.s and they both told me the same thing plus two of my friends pedi.s said that two... but you can always mix in stage one fruits and veggies to make it taste better.JMO
    Anonymous

• Avocado... but I found they were hard to get thin with just mashing... I put one in my food processor and made it smooth, added a little breastmilk and then froze it in an icecube tray.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Sweet potato, mashed banana, avocado. they are all soft and you can just mash them. If baby is really ready for solids it does not need to be really thin and runny. Some babies go straight to finger foods.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008