Have any of you let yourself go after kids?

When I had my daughter I kinda let myself go. I stopped doing my hair and dressing up, etc. Of course it wasn't a problem at first but now it's affecting my self-esteem and my marriage. My husband loves me but I want to be sexy again you know. How do I get back into the groove? Any advice would be nice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Relationships

• If it would make YOU happy to get your old self back, then make it a priority. As soon as the baby naps, get a shower and do your hair and makeup. Tell your husband hes on kid duty next weekend and make an appointment for your hair, nails, and tanning. He'll be more than happy to watch the kids all day if he knows you will return all sexified!!! Another thing that really helped me get back into shape was doing 5-10 minute spurts of exercise whenever I had a few free minutes. Even if you did crunches in ONE minute sessions, 3 or 4 times a day...thats a lot of crunches and will help out your tummy in no time. Join a gym if you are serious. Lots of gyms have a kids club where they will watch your kids in a playroom while you workout for an extra 10 or 20 dollars a month on your membership.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Don't set unrealistic goals. One day at a time, and it's okay to slip up....don't beat yourself up about it. It's a lifestyle change, not a "fix". Every day make only one change to your exercise and one change to your diet. Before you know it, it will become habit and a way of life for you.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:01 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I would like the answer to that too. I throw my hair in a ponytail and wear t-shirts and no makeup. I don't feel sexy at all.. I turned 40 this year & I want to be one of those women who says she feels better now than she did in her 30's
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• start off by getting some new clothes, nice shoes, go to the hair salon and nail salon get dressed and you will feel it. You will have ur groove back.
    BusyB-Mommy

Answer by BusyB-Mommy at 11:14 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• yes I did and I'm not proud but I'm making changes to correct that. Do it now bc it's much harder to do once you get older like me! I'm getting the weight off and toning up. I don't like messing with my hair so I let my hairdresser give me a good cut to make my life simple there. I only wear makeup when I leave the house but then again I'm not married. If I were I'd wear it when he came home (nothing heavy). I date now and when my guy comes over I'll have just gotten out of the shower and cleaned up for him. He loves the "just showered" smell. I know it's hard with kids but maybe you could try something like that. It makes you feel refreshed and not so tired after taking care of the house all day.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I 43 and I was in the same boat not to long ago. I made myself get up and walk every morning. Not because I was wanted to loose weight....because I do...but because it's alone time and I have so much more energy through out the day if I do. I also put on a bit of makeup..not much but enough so that I can tell that I have it on. I keep my pony tail though because my hair is long. I just find different ways to put it up...fancy like...well, my kind of fancy..lol. I also got different t-shirts...from Old Navy..not my son's t-shirts for this mom anymore : ). I also decided this was for ME. Not to be sexier for my husband. It's all about ME this time. YOU need to feel good about you from the inside as well as the outside before you reflect sexiness because being sexy isn't always just looking good....IMO Take care and Good Luck you sexy Moma. : )
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Make a rule to only weat pajamas after 6 at night. lol. I found myself wearing them all day, every day when I was at home. Keep on atleast a pair of pants, a nice shirt and some make up and have your hair looking like you didn't just roll out of bed.
    Anonymous

• make an appointment at a salon and join a gym. seriously, leave this stuff to the pros!! after a day of pampering, you will feel and look so good, it will inspire you to do more. hint: go to a salon recommended by all... next time you see a hair cut you like, go right up to them and say, "I am sorry to ask, but you look fabulous... who does your hair?" when you get there, leave yourself in their hands but be sure to say "I am a new mom and i need something with low up keep and that will continue to look good as it grows out." you WON'T be sorry!!
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Start with the body. Find an exercise routine that works for you. Whether that is a gym or at home. I found when I lost the weight at 36---after carrying it about 8 years--I felt great and wanted to do more--the clothes and such. But the best part was taking a Take Won Do class with my daughter and twin nieces at the college, taking up x-country skiing--and going downhill skiing for the first time in decades:-) I loved it. I also took a massage class. If you don't take of you, you cheat your family out of you---I did for several years. Make YOU a priority so you have more to give and share with your family----the sexy and all will come with the physical fitness and healthy eating:-)
    Anonymous