What is the best phone to get a 10 year old?

I'm looking into getting a cell phone for my 10 year old daughter. Just need something basic for talk and text. What is the best deal for around $20/month? Prepaid phones? Is she too young for a phone?

amysaves

Asked by amysaves at 11:04 AM on Jul. 28, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• MY DD has a gophone, for $20/month, she gets unlimited texting. I do not believe she is too young as I got one for mine at 8 yo. She participates in lots of activities, visits grandparents for a week at a time, I felt she needed a way to reach me with out having to borrow someone else's phone, also, I don't feel bad about calling some one else's phone if I need to reach her.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:16 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• IMO, she doesn't need one.

My 12 yr old SS has one and has lost it several times.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• IMO she is too young for a phone. My daughter did not get one until she was 12yrs old. Mainly because I wanted to be able to contact her when she was at her fathers house, without having to call her fathers house to talk to her. She was than able to text us or call us when she needed to talk.

It would be cheaper to add her to your plan if you already have a texting plan.

But a basic phone that only has texting NO internet.
    OctMommyof3

Answer by OctMommyof3 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I went and got a free phone and added it to my plan for $10/month. It spends most of it's time on my counter, but they take it when they are out by themselves or at practice for sports.

I'm glad because my 11 & 13 yr old share it and take it when they ride around the neighborhood. My 13 yr old fell last night and has likely broken his hand. My 11 yr old DD called me and I was able to get him much easier than her leaving him alone and in pain, riding home and then me getting him.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:29 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I like my teens to have prepaid phones so we can't get an outrageous bill. My daughter is a little older but she has virgin mobile. For $25 she get unlimited texting and 300 minutes of talk. She also has unlimited web but I didn't tell her that.
    ATALHEA

Answer by ATALHEA at 11:52 AM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I think either adding her to your plan, or a go phone is the best bet... and I don't think it's too young if she will be attending activities w/o you.
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• $25 a month for unlimited texting? i just need a phone so when shes's at her dad's house she doesn't have to ask to use the phone. also, when she is at camp she can reach me if she needs something.

yeah, def just text, no internet!!
    amysaves

Comment by amysaves (original poster) at 3:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• my ex took my kids cell phone away from them. Wouldn't let them use it while with him.
    I got a track phone from Wal-mart.com for like $18.00 and it came with a deal of double minutes, so if I bought $20. it translated to $40 automaticaly.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• none
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2011