How soon can an ultrasound detect the gender of a baby?

I went for an ultrasound yesterday and the baby measured at 11 weeks 6 days and we thought we saw a little penis in between the baby's legs and the ultrasound tech asked us if we wanted to know the gender and I said yes... and then she said that if she had to guess, she'd say it was in fact a boy!! She did say that it's very early and that she wasnt positive...but that it'd be her 'guess'.
Anyway, I was just wondering how soon the gender can be detected.

taliarosesmommy

Asked by taliarosesmommy at 11:12 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• My ultrasound doctor says that before 18 weeks, parts are swollen and they can look alike. Some people luck out some people dont and have to wait.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• well i found out at 3 months that i was having a boy.. some people where saying that iy was to early and not to belive the doc.. and i ended up having a boy.. some just ask for a other one and see what they tell u this time..good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Up here they wont check you or look until you are atleast 18-20 weeks or so because then they know for sure and don't get your hopes up
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• During week 10 of fetal development is when the genitals start to form externally. Visual detection before 13 weeks is shakey. I wouldn't start buying all blue, just to be safe. That's very early to "see" and be sure you're seeing what you think you are - even for the sonogram tech. They will probably do another sono around 20 weeks and those are fairly obvious if they get a good angle. Good luck Momma!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 11:46 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i went for a 3d ultrasound i think at 18 weeks just because i was so ansty for my 20week ultrasound. they both confirmed the same thing a girl. but if their are any surprises i will let u know. i considering another 3d ultrasound so my whole family can come and experience the baby live. good luck to you.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:55 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• OK, so this is what an ultrasound tech told me once. She said that at 18-20 weeks you can tell most of the time...if baby is cooperating. I had an ultrasound at 10 weeks once and she said that sometimes you can see if its going to be a boy that early, but they are still pretty tiny so its a tough call. I loved finding out with both my kids....I'm not one that can wait!

:o )
    hlozzi

Answer by hlozzi at 12:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• 18 weeks at earliest
    Anonymous

• Ive been told that a really good sonographer can see it as early at 13 or 14 weeks. Baby must be cooperating as well. I think I found out at 16 weeks with one of my kids.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Genitals are formed by eight weeks. But the optimal time for sono to be accurate is 18-20 weeks. It can be done sooner, but i would wait until a little later just to be sure.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I was 18 weeks, and we could REALLY see all of his boy parts (he was still a boy when he came out). I would take it with a grain of salt for now (hard to do, I know!!). Try to be patient, and have them check again once you're further along.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:41 AM on Dec. 21, 2008