DD is now one and still wakes up at night, have been giving her a bottle but trying to get her off of that. Any suggestions? If I let her fuss she just escalates. If I go in there she clamps on to me like a vice grip. Not really sure if she will just eventually sleep through the night or if we are in a habbit.

ttdccc

Asked by ttdccc at 11:15 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Could it be that she is napping more than she needs to during the day? That would be my first suggestion, to cut back on napping. A bottle with water may be the way to go to comfort her.

Answer by Bmat at 11:18 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Also, have you started solids? So you are sure she isn't hungry?

Answer by Bmat at 11:19 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Well my son is 14 months and the last time he had a bottle was at thanksgiving and thats because my mil gave him nothing but bottles. The we just went cold turkey. I give him a sippy cup at night now half full. The whole not sleeping all night thing well is she taking naps during the day? Or late in the evening? My son used to do the same thing and then i cut out one of his naps during the day and make sure he gets really full at supper time and wear him out and then come bed time he is more than ready and sleeps all night!
    LeighAnn0901

Answer by LeighAnn0901 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• That "star" Lisa Remine or something had a child she ended up giving about 9 bottles a night to every night .The child would freak out if she didn't. I think soon you might have cut her off.
    Holdenzmom

Answer by Holdenzmom at 11:32 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Children are often more clever than what we give them credit. Chloe recently had an ear infection, does she cry at naps as well when she lies down? No? When she cries at night, don't even pick her up just *try* to calmly reassure her that everything is alright. Her brain is learning at a pace that her body is trying to keep up so you will often find that when Chloe is at a stage where she is learning something monumental-like walking-she will awaken more often. She may also be having dreams because again that little absorbent sponge, a.k.a. her brain, is causing her to awaken. This may simply be a stage you'll have to muddle through!
    xansammom

Answer by xansammom at 11:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• She sometimes does two naps but most often does one if the early afternoon for about an hour and a half. She eats solids for the most part, in fact the only bottles she gets are during the night. I think you might be right Stacie, she has been more wakeful lately as she has really be working on some words and on walking all at the same time. I thought it was that she learned while she was sick that if she cried we came running, but maybe it is a combo. I will try the sippy cup tonight and to calmy reasure if that goes arry, she seems to really ramp up if you go in her room, so was thinking of leaving the sippy cup with water in her crib with her, any thoughts on that???
    ttdccc

Answer by ttdccc at 12:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I did the "sippy cup" in bed with Holden till recently because he was potty trainning. That sounds like it could work. Good luck.
    Holdenzmom

Answer by Holdenzmom at 9:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Don't comfort her with a bottle! That was my biggest mistake I couldn't get my daughter off til she was 19 months! Look into the Ferber method of sleeping. My doctor recommended it and at first I was leary but within a week my child was off the bottle and sleeping through the night. Along with taking a 2 hour nap during the day. Seriously best thing I've done for my daughter! FERBER METHOD
    Anonymous