How can I get my 3 year old son to stop spitting?

When I say spitting I mean doing that little razzing thing with his lips. He does it at preschool and they are getting frustrated because they can't get him to respond to them. They call me and want me to talk to him but I don't think that helps because he sounds like he's excited to call me. Time out isn't really working and spanking doesn't work and I don't like it. Any suggestions on how to stop an undesirable behavior would be appreciated.

keribk2

Asked by keribk2 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my parents smacked my face for spitting, they only had to do it once. Time to find something like grounding him or something he hates and step up. don't be afraid of your child!
    Anonymous

• Number one..they need to stop calling you. He has learned that when he does that he gets to talk to mommy on the phone! They need to man up and do their jobs. I worked in child care for 5 years..only called parents when a child was real sick or severely injured. Number two when he does it turn your back to him. *very similar to what you do with a dog actually*, don't give him any attention. The second he stops doing it pick him up and love him! Tell him that you love him and that spitting is very yucky! If after like a week this doesn't stop then I would put him in a time out..it's one minute per age year. So he is three so it would be for three minutes and don't address him in time out. If he gets out don't say a word just keep putting him back in there. Stay firm, objective and positive. good luck!
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I would never condone spanking etc. That shows the child that when the child is angry or needs to deal with something he should hit. Besides it's abuse and uncalled for. By working with your child through this he will then learn the ways to work through problems in a healthy manor.
    AnC83

Answer by AnC83 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• See if you can get them to have him only razz into a cup. (You can use something like a yogurt cup for this.) Then you can see about making the cup less convenient for him to get to. If it were across the room, he might not do it at all.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Ignore it completely and he will stop. It's getting him attention now.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 2:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I like the idea of the cup... and making it a pain to have to go and get every time he wants to spit.

With my son he was spitting like that ALL the time too... it was so annoying and gross! We did timeouts for every single spit (without any second chances *ex: if you do it again you'll get a time out*) He spent A LOT of time in time out the first day... but he quickly figured out that it wasn't fun to be in time out all of the time. It took 3 days for him to completely stop spitting.

We also tried vinegar in his mouth a couple of times (like the soap in the mouth concept) it didn't really work for my son, but I have heard that it works for a lot of children for spitting or biting.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:44 PM on Jul. 29, 2011