Can a doctor refuse to give a prescription refill because you owe him money?

I still owe my doctor $116 from my D&C which I had to have because of a missed miscarriage at 17 weeks. I got a call from someone in his office stating that he might drop me as a patient if I don't pay right now. I told them I can pay $25.00 a month starting in August. The lady said she would make note of it, I hope she really did. I am on a very important medication that I don't have any refills for. I have called and asked for a refill but he is not in the office right now so the nurse said she would call me back in the morning. I am so scared he will refuse to refill my prescription because I owe him money. Two questions: If he had dropped me as a patient would the nurse even be trying to help me at all? Also, do you think I have anything to worry about as far as him giving me a refill for my MUCH needed prescription?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2011 in Health

• they will give u refills but if its narcotics most office wont give them to you if you have a balance u can see a new dr or pay ur bill
    kai302

Answer by kai302 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• He'll give you the refill. Doctors get a "commission" check for every prescription. They don't get commission if generic is prescribed though.
    Anonymous

• yes the doctor can drop you as a patient and can turn over your bill to collections if he wants to....my advice make good on your payment plan before you get your refills...just make the first payment and then see if you can get your refills....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 3:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Depending on the prescription. Some doctor will not give you a refill until you have confirmed a follow up visit. Keep calling I'm sure you can work something out.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Yes they can drop you as a patient. As for the refill, call the automated refill line at the pharmacy and refill as usual. It will say you have no refills available and would you like them to contact your doctor. Say yes. The pharmacy faxes in a refill request and the dr. faxes it back. Then you don't have to worry about it. In that scenerio they may authorize the refill without even noticing your billing info.
    IndigoP5ycho

Answer by IndigoP5ycho at 7:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I have always got my refills that way when my rx runs out. I hate dealing with the dr. office. And most (around here) require you to have the pharmacy request it. it's easier for them to process directly with the pharmacy.
    IndigoP5ycho

Answer by IndigoP5ycho at 7:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• My pharmacy did send the request but the doctor didn't respond and then when I asked they said they didn't get it. This of course is after I talked to the pharmacy and they told me they had sent it and even verified the number. I'm so sick and tired of dealing with this doctor's office. If you all only knew what I have been through with them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Thanks for your comments. All my worry was for nothing. Doctor's office called in my prescription this morning! :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:30 AM on Jul. 29, 2011