choosing a daycare....help!

I'm expecting my first baby in May and every is telling me that I need to get on a waiting list now. How do I choose which daycare and fulltime or parttime? What do I ask when I call? How do you evaluate one daycare vs another?

kathleen3d

Asked by kathleen3d at 11:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never really thought about that when I was pregnant but now that she is 10 months old and I'm going to be going back to school and my bf is in college and the national guard I've been thinking about what daycare also and the prices.... Sorry I couldn't be much help good luck tho
    SoldierS_GirL22

Answer by SoldierS_GirL22 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If you are planning on placing your child in daycare as soon as possible I would be checking out your local centers now. Most can not take a child younger than 6 weeks old.

When looking at a center, make sure it is clean plenty of suitable staff members, friendlly, secure, (ours has a door alarm system that will not allow you in unless buzzed in) Ask how often inspections are done, this keeps a daycare on its toes.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Some daycares even offer monitioring systems where you can watch your childs classroom from a computer at your work.....just to keep a eye on your booger and make sure the workers are doing their job.

You should also do surprize drop ins when they are not expecting you.....so that you see everything that is going on and keep the employees aware that you are watching.

As far as time.....that really depends on how long you want to keep your child there.....talk with the owner....they help parents make these decisions all the time ;)
    mom2twobabes

• I'd call all of the ones you know of and ask if they take the age your child will be when she starts, and how much they charge. Then you can narrow your list down by those that cost to much for you and those that won't take her age group. I'd google "questions to ask daycares/babysitters" and you will get a whole list of what to ask. You can decide what questions are most important to you. I'd interview each daycare in person and try to do it during business hours so you can see how they interact with the kids. If you can't do it during business hours I'd go back the next day just for that purpose.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• cont. Remember, your interviewing them to take care of your precious baby. So ask everything and anything you need to make you feel comfortable about leaving her there. write down things you like and didn't like about each one and then take your baby there to get acquainted when you've picked 2-3 final ones. I'd keep at least 2-3 in mind for emergency reasons (in case one has to close temporarily) There's nothing worse than feeling obligated to leave your baby with a complete stranger because you don't have a back up and gotta get to work. If you need more help PM me.
    britni11

• will when i picked my day care i didnt call i want to the daycare to see what it looks like to see the thing they do and to see how clean it is.. then i ask all the (??) in my mind.. if u work full time then you tell them u want the baby on full time if u work part time then part time..... u should check out all the daycares around your area..
    good luck!!
    yamil519

Answer by yamil519 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• It was so hard to find a daycare! First, I contacted the Childcare Referral Network and they sent me a list of childcare centers in my area that take newborns. Then I called around and asked some basic questions (like, do you have openings? what do you charge? what does a typical day look like?). You get a pretty good feel by talking to people over the phone who is OUT of the running. Then I visited. I spent about 3 weeks on the process and visiting 10 or so places. I finally narrowed it down to two places and my hubby then went to those places with me and we made the decision together. Some web sites have ideas for what kinds of questions you should ask, but after you go to a few places you will probably discover that you know what you're looking for.
    HannahsMom0109

Answer by HannahsMom0109 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Oh, and also make sure wherever you go has an "open door" policy. Before making your final decision, you'll want to drop by unannounced to your final choices to be sure that your guided tour was standard operating procedure for them. It is hard to find infant care, so you probably do want to start working on it now.
    HannahsMom0109

Answer by HannahsMom0109 at 4:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008