Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my sons father doesnt pay child support and i really dont want to have to take him to court cuz we still are friends... what can i do?


Asked by mommacj13108 at 11:49 AM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Well being friends is one thing, supporting the child is another. Just because youre still friends doesnt negate his responsibility for his child. Its a business matter (how I see it). Be friends, but he should support the child either way. I would go to child support and start a case with them. It costs around $25 and they do everything for you. If you are on any govt assistance like medicaid or food stamps then its free & I might add you have no choice but to go after him or theyll take away your benefits altogether. It isnt about being friends, its about giving your child the lifestyle he deserves. Why should the dad get away with spending his money on lord knows what & not think of the child while you likely bust your butt?

    Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Why are you still friends with someone who wont help support his own child?

    I'd be ticked off....and thats the nicest way I can put it.

    Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:51 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Talk to him and tell him he should help pay for raising the child. Maybe he thinks that even tho you are friends he shouldn't have to pay. find out what he says and then go from there.

    Answer by Kat122 at 11:53 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • well, you can explain to him that he needs to support his child and see what happens. But, honestly, if he's not willing to do it, then you'll need to take him to court, whether you want to or not. Your child is entitled to support from their parents, both of them. And you shouldn't struggle to pay for basic necessities (if you are struggling) for your child b/c he doesn't want to pay. Being friends is all well and good, but really, what's more important, being friends with him or knowing that your child's needs are being met?

    Answer by tropicalmama at 12:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Not to sound rude, but you need to concern yourself more with your child than with your "friend", who obviously isn't a very good friend.

    Answer by sandra1023 at 12:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • as gemgem says, go to child support, start a case, they will pursue him.

    Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:26 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

  • Tell him if he can't come to an agreement and help you financially take care of the child, then you will take him to court...plain and simple. You need the money! and who cares if he doesn't want to pay....that's life and it's his child! He's better off working out something with you because if you take him to court for CS then I can assure you he will be paying way more than you ask of him! These ladies are right. He's a jerk, not a friend....your baby should be your first priority. If you lose a friend over this...then it's his loss and you didn't need him anyway!

    Answer by britni11 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2008