Rash, runny nose, diarrhea, fussiness?

My six month old son has had this problem since Monday and it won't stop. His nose doesn't run quite so much now but he has all of the other things. What could it be? I'm calling the ask a nurse center at his doctors office since they're closed on Saturdays.

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/fifth.html
    sounds like fifths disease. Not a big deal. Looks bad but it isnt, unless there is a pregnant woman around. Follow that link. Also, if you look up pics to match the rash just know they put up the WORST pics but usually the rash looks a bit like the hives....just little dots on the chest and arms. They can progress onto the cheeks and smear together which looks really frightening but goes away soon enough. Hope this helps.
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 12:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Probably should have called sooner. If he has diarrhea for that long it could be serious. Make sure he has enough fluids. Poor thing little guy I hope he feels better!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:32 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• p.s. BTW, this virus is quite prominent right now so the chances are quite good this is all it is.
    njoynlife

Answer by njoynlife at 12:33 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Sounds viral. Just let it runs it's course. I was in and out of the doctors and ER all the time when my oldest was a baby. He got virus after virus. It was annoying. And I always got the same answer..."It's a virus and it has to run it's course."

Treat the symptoms. Tylenol for fever, saline drops and suction for the nose and a lukewarm bath with Aveeno Baby Oatmeal Bath to help soothe the rash and lots of fluids to replenish due to the diarrhea.

How many watery diapers is he having a day? Anything more than 8 and take him to the ER, now. Signs to look for in dehydration: dry tongue, no tears, sunken eyes, as few as 1 or 2 urine diapers within 12 hours, lethargic. If he has any or all of these, take him to the ER.

Good luck. Hope he feels better soon!

boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 1:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My 6 month old son has the exact same thing going on!! execpt without the runny nose thing. I called the doctor and they told me to just monitor him closely over the weekend. He has diarrehea, diaper rash (which I think is yeast infection) and he is super fussy waking up just about every hour throughout the night and if he starts to have a fever to call after hours. Let me know how your little does
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 3:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2008