PCOS - Ever hear of it?

I never did until my 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with the disease. The long term is "Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome." She's had to go on several medications to control it. I was told it is not curable, but controllable and if not controlled, it could cause other health problems, besides the obvious inability to conceive. She feels different, now, because she has this "female problem" that is unlike any of her friends and sometimes, I think it bothers her more than it should. We have it under control, but I guess when she has a friend over and they see her having to take medication, being curious kids, they ask her what it's for. She's so embarrassed at times and I try to tell her not to be. Has anyone ever had to deal with this, whether it affects you or someone you know? Do you know any teens that have this disease?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Kids' Health

• They give meds for PCOS? I was diagnosed at 15. I now have 3 kids and a quater ovary
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Both my sister and I have it. We were never told of meds for it, not that we would have taken any anyway. I always had very irregular periods and my docs tried to scare me into believing that I'd never conceive (I have 2 children) and/or that I'd develop endiometriosis, which didn't happen either. My PCOS became a non-issue once I adopted a carb-free diet. That was over 10 years ago. I've had regular/monthly periods ever since and no other symptoms or problems.

Is your daughter overweight and/or does she have trouble losing weight? Have you looked into the link between PCOS and hyperinsulinemia? What symptoms is she displaying?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• It's good she was diagnosed young, I wasn't diagnosed until my 20's. I was on meds for it, but more to control the insulin resistance (which is pretty common in women with PCOS) though the BC pills made sure I ovulated every month.

Carb-free diets are unhealthy, I follow a diabetic diet, which is low-carb. You need some carbs for energy. You two may want to see a dietitian for help with meals.

As she gets older, fertility could be an issue. I was told I'd never conceive without meds, but after 4 years of trying with my ex-husband I conceived 2 children without help. Funny thing, I never had a regular cycle until my first was born, now it's like clock work.

My doctor did tell me that because I have PCOS, my daughters have a chance of developing it. Also, if she does have insulin resistance it puts you at a higher risk for gestational diabetes and developing diabetes later in life.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 4:16 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• my teen daughter has pcos and I diagnosed it from google
    after seeing many doctors for her irregular periods and only being told
    she needed to lose weight .. never told PCOS ... so I found a new doc and
    insisted she be tested for it after I found it on google ...after many blood tests
    and ultrasound that is indeed what she has....
    mommystar3

Answer by mommystar3 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 31, 2008

• First - make sure your teens are NOT on birth control hormones. BCH's actually increase PCOS problems and increase Insulin Resistance. Its the worst thing that can be done for PCOS.

I was PCOS by age 8 and diagnosed at age 12. I have been educating others on PCOS since I was 15 and I am now 36. I have a lot of "teenage angst" with PCOS so she is welcome to contact me for a chat. My passion and goals with my PCOS education is reaching out to children and their parents. So youre right up my alley.

I created a PCOS Kit that can answer a lot of your questions. Feel free to email me for it at pcosinct@yahoo.com It explains the whole BCH's issue.There are better ways to help the reproduction symptoms. Its also important that these girls regularly visit an Endocrinologist with yearly bloodwork. Make sure your daughters are living a diabetic lifestyle all the way around. Foods, exercise, supplements, etc. Very important.
    PCOSinCT

Answer by PCOSinCT at 7:00 PM on Oct. 4, 2009