Does a 2 year old need privcy in the Bathroom?

My 2 year old son (well soon to be 2) doesn't want anyone in the bathroom with him anymore. I just want to know it this Normal behavior or should I continue to sit with him while potty training is still taking place. My whole thing is that he's in ChildCare & if they will allow him to sit on the toilet alone. He's been doing so much better without anyone in the bathroom with him while at Home, but I'm afraid that he may fall in the toilet at school since potty seats can't be used on the toilets . Thanks in advance for all of your advice it is much appreciated.

~*~Holli~*~

MsWood729

Asked by MsWood729 at 12:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO, Your supose to be training them. You can't do that in a different room.  When they are fully trained that is different.

Answer by louise2 at 12:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Respect starts at a very early age. There's no reason you can't stand right outside the door with your ear to the door listening and paying attention. Ask that the day care do the same. Most day cares that I have visited had those mini toilets, so nobody was falling in.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son who's 2 doesn't like anybody in the bathroom with him. He honestly doesn't go if someone is in there and the second we leave he does his business. But I do stand right outside the door to make sure he is safe. So I don't see anything wrong with leaving him to do his business as long as you are close by.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I say, if he wants some privacy, close the door and stand outside. He's a little person, how would you like it if you were using the bathroom and someone refused to leave.
    My 2 yo is potty training as well and when he wants his privacy while taking a dump, I give it to him. And he feels better about himself because he did it on his own.
    I will come in and help after all is said and done, to make sure he cleaned up good enough.
    As for the toilets, train him to face the tank, that's what we've done with our ds and he hasn't fallen in.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I know ever since I have been a young child I couldn't go if someone was in the room. Preformance anxiety I guess
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Most daycares have toilets that are child-sized so they won't fall in. I think, if he wants privacy, give it to him. There is a difference, though, between the privacy you would give an older child or an adult, and the privacy you can give him. While with an adult you would shut the door and walk away to go about your day, with him, you could simply leave the door open, or partway open, and stand outside it. Close enough to easily get to him should something happen, but far enough away and out of eyesight so he feels he has privacy. My kids like to play in the water, so they are not allowed to shut the door. But they know that if they are in the bathroom, I will stay out unless they call me or I hear screaming or the water running too long, etc.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 1:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son was 2 1/2 before he was potty trained and sometimes he wouldn't pee at first because I was standing there. So I would stand behind the open door and peek in where the door has the hinges. Now he is 4 years old and likes shutting the door for privacy. He also has a little sister (10 1/2 months) who likes to follow him everywhere so that's probably why he shuts the door. LoL!
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 2:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Sounds like hes very independent. I would give him some space if hes asking. Might make the process a lot quicker. Don't be paranoid about what can happen. Falling into the toilet is not usually a big deal. Besides, you need to stay outside the door anyway. Just because hes wanting space doesn't mean he doesn't need to be supervised. Just let him try on his own first.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:53 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If my 2 year old wants privacy, she asks, I give it to her. If she wants me to stay, I stay.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and was completely potty trained by two years. When she goes to the bathroom, especially #2 she wants the door closed with just a crack. She calls me to help her wipe when she is done. I think you need to respect your child in this situation, especially in the body function area. We as adults want privacy when we go #2...maybe they are just copying what they see.
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 5:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008