Did anyone see the KID that "broke" into a Family Dollar!?

First off the child was 4, and the door was unlocked. How they label that as breaking in is beyond me. I guess he snuck out of his home at 3 am and went over to the Family Dollar, went in and was playing with toys. There was someone looking for him when police went looking in the neighborhood for the child's home. But the fact that he got out is not a good thing. My question is, Can you really say that a 4 year old boy broke into a store that was left unlocked, and he was playing with toys!? If he was older, and knew that what he was doing I could understand. But would you say this is right?

CorCorsmomma

Asked by CorCorsmomma at 12:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I didn't hear about that... Minus the obvious bad parenting and danger he could have gotten into its pretty damn funny
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I haven't heard this story. If he knew what he was doing in leaving his house and heading to the store, then yes he knew he was wrong to try and enter. But where the hell are the parents?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I don't think we should automatically assume it was "bad parenting"-it's judgemental. My son became an escape artist at 3 and we went thru hell with different types of locks to keep him from wandering-and I am a good parent. I think to say he "broke in" is different than saying he "broke in to rob the joint". i'm always amazed at how brave lil kids are KWIM? Dark outside and this lil guy wants to play with toys. I'm just glad he's ok.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 1:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Thats true it could have ended badly! In my new apartment doenst have a safety lock. and my son is learning how to unlock the deadbolt. I'm scared he will get out one morning, but he is very nosie in the morning and I put nosie stuff in front of the door so if he tries I can hear him. Still it is really scary. I really dont think its fair to say he broke in.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 1:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My brother was about 3 or 4 and broke out of the house and took off for dairy queen! Thankfully we lived in a small enough town that they just brought him back... kind of a funny story to tell him these days now that he's 18! but no it's not safe but it's not lack of parenting it just happens sometimes when you least expect it
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• OMG! That is funny!
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• for all those asking "where the hell were the parents?",  they were sleeping it WAS 3 o'clock in the F*ing morning!!!!

so for all those screaming bad parenting, i have a question, for you

when do you sleep, or do you stay awake 24/7 to watch your children?

bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• btw, i do think it cute and hilirious (cant spell)
    and its "breaking in" just cuase that is the gengral police description, they dont have any other way to describe it
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 1:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Yeah true. Haha. Shoot, I would say that he more or less snuck in... I wonder if who ever was supposed to lock the door that night is in big trouble!
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 1:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• obvious bad parenting

what, sleeping?

I've heard of kids undoing deadbolts by standing on chairs. There is a point at which you can do no more to restrain your child without it becoming abusive (restraints) or a fire hazzard (locking their room from outside). My stepmom was a GREAT mom and still my stepbrother got out of the house for various "adventures".

Give things a bit of thought before leveling charges of "bad parenting" why don't you?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008