Does anyone know how long it takes for permanent teeth to grow in if the baby teeth were pulled prematurely?

Does anyone know how long it takes for permanent teeth to grow in if the baby teeth were pulled prematurely?  My step-daughter had her top front 4 baby teeth pulled when she was about 2 and a half due to bottle rot.  She is now 7 and a half and still no sign of them.  I  just think 5 years is a long time.  Her dentist told me that they will come in eventually but the skin on her gums is so thick it is harder for them to push through.  I've never met anyone that has had this happen before and I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this and can give me some info.  Thanks!

DROCKSGIRL517

Asked by DROCKSGIRL517 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2011 in General Parenting

• I havent, but I'd agree that seven seems a bit late for those first few teeth to pop through. My son lost his at five because the new ones were pushing through. So did my granddaughter. She just turned six and has a mouth full of newly missing, and starting to come in. So, maybe yours is a little behind the norm...but I wouldnt worry just yet!! Good luck!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 8:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• It can take a long time!!! My niece lost her two front teeth in an accident at about 2 and she was about 7 or 8 and her permanent teeth still had no sign of coming in the end the dentist had to make incisions where the teeth would come down to encourage them to break through.

Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• MY son had bottle rot on his top four teeth too and had them taken out about 3 years ago and the denist said that his gums are thick too. He is now 10 and all but 1 has come in.
    ladybug0614

Answer by ladybug0614 at 8:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• thank you...my 2 children lost them at 4 and 6 but the new ones were pushing them out I guess I was a little worried about her.

DROCKSGIRL517

Comment by DROCKSGIRL517 (original poster) at 8:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• thank you for your answers, I am going to ask her dentist about the incisions when she goes for her check-up next month.
    DROCKSGIRL517

Comment by DROCKSGIRL517 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• My nephew had to have his two front teeth pulled when he was about 2....He is now almost 8 and they have just started to come in. They say when the baby teeth are removed early...the adult teeth take much longer to come in...It'll happen...don't worry!

mommyluvsphilip

Answer by mommyluvsphilip at 8:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• They will come in the SAME time frame as if the teeth were NOT pulled. Top front teeth (central incisor) generally come in 7-8 years of age. The top front teeth next to them (lateral incisor) come in 8-9 years of age. This is according to the ADA (American Dental Association) website. The fact that she is only 7 means that she is still okay and it could be yet another year to two years before they come in. If your dentist is NOT concerned then there is nothing to worry about. Also keep in mind the ADA website is the AVERAGE age. Seeing it's AVERAGE some children teeth come in sooner and others are late bloomers.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• thanks
    DROCKSGIRL517

Comment by DROCKSGIRL517 (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• Some kids get them in fast and some don't. My son is six and not one loose tooth. My DD started losing at 5 and has not lost any since and she is 8 now. Five years may seem too long but when you think about the age she lost them, they normally don't start losing until 5 or 6. As long the dentist says she's ok then don't worry. I knew this one girl back in school and i swear she didn't have her two front teeth for the whole elementary period. I think every ones teeth grow in at different times.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2011

• I linked to the ADA main page in my last post. I meant to link to PDF chart of when the teeth come in. http://www.ada.org/sections/publicResources/pdfs/chart_eruption_perm.pdf
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2011