My daughter is one and two weeks. She slid past the sippy cup stage and went to water bottles and now regular cups. When is the best time to start potty training and how do I break her of having a bottle during bedtime?

She wakes up atleast two times a night. Atleast one of those times I will give her around 4 to 6 ounces of milk, change her diaper and she goes back to sleep. because I live in a one bedroom apartment I've slept in the living room just to see how long she will cry before going back to sleep without a bottle (yes I do give her a bottle during the night and send one to daycare becuase she hates sippy cups). I'm just so tired of having to change her two times during the night or waking up to her being wet.

monieluvya

Asked by monieluvya at 1:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, you've got a super wonderful child on your hands! She uses regular cups already? So cool!

As far as potty training goes, you could try but I think she may be a bit too young still to really understand it. Is she in a crib still or a toddler bed? You could try buying a toddler potty and have her sit on it during the day so she can get used to it but she may not yet understand the sensation of going and correlate it with getting on the potty (You've got a ton of time though. Most children use the botty between 1 1/2-2. Sometimes older)

madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• (Cont'd.)

How wet is she when she wakes up at night? My daughter is 13 months (well, 14 months on the 28th) and she wakes up once or twice a night. As long as her diaper isn't thoroughly soaked (or will soak through by morning) I just put her back to bed. I would consider only changing her if her diaper is seriously full at night. If you're worried about a rash, load some cream on her at her last daiper of the night.

Good luck! I hope it works out.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 1:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• thats a tough one. i just stop giving them to her one day and she never asked for it. try different cups. they have those sippy cups from walmart called nubbi i think its spelled. and they have a bottle like nipple. there liek a buck. you can start there and gradually make your wayy to a hard top sippy cup. and try giving her her bottle less over tiem.
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 1:30 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• First, switch to overnight diapers. They will hold a LOT more... enough that you may not have to change her, which lets her get better sleep too.

If you want to stop the bottles at night, do it NOW. If you don't, you will need to wait until she is willing to give them up as a "big girl". That's where I'm at. My daughter is 29 months and uses a bottle (of water) to calm down, relax, and fall asleep. It's a comfort thing for her and I don't really mind except like yours, it means night time potty training will have to wait until she drops the bottles.

When should you potty train? When she is ready. This is not age based - some kids are ready as young as 18 months, some not until nearly 4. Most girls are ready between 24 and 30 months. Get a good potty training book and check the list of readiness signs. I like "The No Cry Potty Training Solution".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008