Where do I find the actual statute for Virginia which states the age which siblings of opposite sex can no longer share a room?

I am currently separated and living separate and apart under the same roof. Hard yes, impossible no, we get along. He wants to move to two separate places but maintains that getting places with only two bedrooms is okay. Money is an issue. I maintain that because our children (a girl 11 and a boy 13) are tween they should not be sharing a room. It would be helpful if I knew the actual legal cutoff age to nip this attempt by him to "save money" on rent. If it is illegal, it cannot be done, period. Nevermind the foolishness of it to begin with.

Katrinkt

Asked by Katrinkt at 12:47 AM on Jul. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+22VACw-211-70

H. Children of the opposite sex over the age of three shall not sleep in the same room.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:55 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

The URL is showing up a bit weird so reposting...

hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

VAC40- is the text where the symbol shows
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:01 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Oh my goodness. When I was a child all 7 of us slept in the same room; sharing beds. Times have changed!!
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:14 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Every state is different. Where I live it only refers to foster children. There are not any laws regarding biological siblings.
    If you had to get a two bedroom you could give the each kid a bedroom and sleep on the couch.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:31 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Seriously? There is a law on this? Geez, what is this world coming to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• They are TOO OLD to be sharing a room. Being the oldest, I shared a room with my younger brother during the divorce until I turned 11. Then I got my own room and he and my baby sister shared until HE turned 11. It would of been sooner if we weren't living with my grandparents and having to convert rooms into bedrooms.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:17 AM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Whether or not it's illegal, I think it's inappropriate to have two siblings of opposite sex on the cusp of puberty share a room. It would likely be awkward and uncomfortable for both of them, especially if they're used to having their own rooms and having their own space.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• The apartment management can tell you for certain. In Ohio, the law simply states two heartbeats per bedroom. (they don't care about gender or ages). If it is legal, you may have to get creative. We (my DH and I) are currently in a two bedroom apartment and my daughter is 12 and my son 16. So we have one bedroom, my son has the other and we sectioned off the dining room from the living room with tall bookcases, for my daughter.  We are thinking about getting a sleeper sofa and switching so my daughter has our room and we'll have the living room. Either way, its not ideal, but its just temporary.  I know of two other families in our complex that do the same or have similar arrangements, both are single moms.  One shares a room with her daughter (bunkbeds)  and the other sleeps in the living room. 

Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 7:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2011

• Your kids are way too old to be sharing a bedroom. They are both going through puberty and need privacy. I know that in Wisconsin, once the oldest child turns 5, they can no longer share a bedroom. You can always call social services (CPS) and ask them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2011