My son is 5 weeks old and he is demanding more and more food. I was told that he should be eating about 2oz every 2hrs. However, he tends to want more or to demand feeding after just one hour. Am I overfeeding my baby if I give him 3oz every 2 hours?

Anitza

Asked by Anitza at 2:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no your not over feeding he is getting older and wants more at a time go ahead and give him 3 oz and see if that helps
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If he's on formula he is going to need increasingly more as he grows. He's not going to overeat if he's fussing it's because he's hungry! My bottle baby was eating more than 2oz in the hospital and by 5 weeks I know we were up to at least 4 or possibly 5oz every few hours.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 2:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I agree with the other ladies. It's just that your baby is growing and needs more food. Babies really don't overeat. When theyre full they'll refuse food. If your baby is acting hungry then they're hungry.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 2:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I have never heard of a young baby over eating. If he's hungry, feed him. :) My dd was supplimented. So at 5 weeks she was getting 10 minutes on each breast then would scarf down 2 oz of formula ... sometimes more!
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I can't imagine not feeding the baby if he is hungry. He needs the food. If you are concerned, perhaps a call to the pediatrician would help.

Answer by Bmat at 2:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• HA My baby just turned 4 months old yesterday and I have done nothing BUT nurse him! Yesterday he was nursing for like 15-20 minutes at a time, every half hour! He hasn't done that today, but I can only imagine what I would be able to pump out if he goes too long without nursing! His little stomach is only the size of his fist, and they digest BM VERY quickly....if he is trying to UP your supply, then that is what you can expect. and right about 5 weeks he is going to be going through a spurt!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:04 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• No I dont think you are doing anything wrong. Just go by your babies cues. They know what they need and how much! good luck. also most babies hit a growth spurt around that time
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 3:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Please remember, babies go t hrough growth spurts, too. They'll be eating even more during these growth spurts. They have a 6 week spurt, so the baby is probably going through it early and or getting ready for it. I was feeding my son 2oz. when he was BORN. I found out when he was 6 weeks old I was UNDER feeding him, and he needed more. Feed your baby if he's hungry, we eat when we're h ungry...so do it for him, too.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• no, hes so little and growing so much, give him as much as he wants to eat. Try putting more than two ounces in the bottle though. My son was never satisfied with just 2oz. He had 4 ounces every 3 hours around the clock, and a friend of mine's daughter had 6oz bottles from the day she was born.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• my son is 4 weeks old and eat 8 oz every 3 hrs he has no problem with it he doesnt spit up or anything his ped said to give him it if he want it she said to multiply 2.5 oz by his birth wait and thats what he should be getting everyday.
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 3:52 PM on Dec. 20, 2008