i would like to adopt internationally

I`m a single woman,homeowner,financially stable who would like to adopt internationally.I currently take an anti depressant but have never bee hospitalized for depression or any medical conditions.Am I still eligible to adopt internationally?

Judypom

Asked by Judypom at 2:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Adoption

• I don't see why you wouldn't be because you're on a medication.
    But you might have an issue being single. Each country has their own requirements.
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• You'd have to do research on the requirements on the country you are thinking of adopting from. I'm sure a simple internet search would give you the results you want. I think you'd come across more issues being single than being on medication.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:42 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I can tell you that you are exempt from China... They do not allow singles anymore as of 5/1/07, and they do not allow any history of depression or anti depressant or anxiety meds. If you google adoption agencies you will come up with a ton of hits and you can then see what each country program requirements are now.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:25 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I just went to Family Connections the other day. They said that it costs about $30,000.00 to adopt internationally. That may be a problem for you. It is a little over a thousand for a child from here. I really don't think your singleness will prevent you from adopting. Some may restrict singles but I doubt if all will. Best wishes
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 3:02 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Why not adopt from the U.S.? We have so many children here too that are just as wonderful. And, less hassle. International adoptions can take years to get set.
    Camrynsmommy81

Answer by Camrynsmommy81 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• We just adopted from Vietnam and did a lot of research in the process. Some countries do not allow singles or anti-depressants. But there are several countries that do. I believe that the former Russian countries might be a good place to start. This website lists most the agencies who do international adoption. http://www.jcics.org.
    But as we were waiting to complete our Vietnam adoption I started to investigate domestic adoption. But if you are open to any race and gender and parental unknowns(which you get with international adoption) then you can probably have no problem adopting. We will be going domestic for our second adoption. We are working with an agency that is also a referral service. Contact her. She is very helpful. Her website is http://www.geocities.com/merts1234/Littlebit2index.html
    Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions.
    Sara www.ouradoptionjourney.net
    sjd314

Answer by sjd314 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 26, 2008

• Some countries are not too keen on single mothers. Some countries are fine with that. You can look into what countries currently except single parent adoptions and which currently except but have had issues in the past....I'd stay away from those. If I were you I would look only at countries who have a very solid history of being single parent friendly.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:05 PM on Dec. 28, 2008

• Every country has its own requirements. I believe several allow single women to adopt still. I agree with the poster that said, do an internet search on the various country requirements.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 10:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2008