How much should I charge?

I have a friend who works 3rd shift. I will be watching her six week old baby while she works. It will be from 9pm till 8am. How much is a good daycare? How much should I charge?

btw, I have a 6yo son and 10m daughter.

lovemyznz

Asked by lovemyznz at 3:08 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would say like 8 dollars an hour
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• day care workers start off at $10.00 an hour
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Wow you are a saint to take on such a young baby for the overnights! I don't think I could do getting up all night with a newborn if my kids were just past that stage. On the other hand you really don't have to do all the developmental stuff with the baby, like tummy time or playing, just basically feeding and changing and comforting but the exhaustion has to figure in there somewhere.

Ask her what she's comfortable with. When I baby sat my friends kid all day she paid me $100 a week but that was during the day and he was a little older.
    Anonymous

• Well, if her baby is sleeping through the night, I'd only charge $100. Depending on your area, too. Average daycare costs for 5days/fulltime is $175 a week. In some cities (bigger) it could go a lot higher. If you live in a large city, definitely factor that in. Otherwise, I'd just go with $80-$100 a week since you just have the baby sleeping if she's sleeping through the night.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I would find the average for your area and then charge one dollar down from that (example - in my area daycare providers make an average of 4 dollars an hour. So I pay my BIL 3)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:55 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think it depends on a few things.... where you live and the average cost of childcare, how good of a friend she is, and if the baby is sleeping most of the time or not.
    My son goes to a private daycare like that and is watched by a friend and I pay $40/day BUT it's for the day, not night.
    I think you could set up a lot of things with her and see what works. You could do a flat rate with additional cost for each time he is up at night if you wanted... because if he sleeps through the night, it's not much work, but if he is anything like my son... you will be up all night and should be paid for it!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:03 PM on Dec. 20, 2008