How can I get my son to use the potty????

He will be 3 on Jan 6th and he is still not potty trained, He will only go when he wants too and then at those times, his diaper is still wet. I wanted him to be potty trained by the time that he was 3 but I dont think its gonna happen. I am tired of buying diapers and wipes!! Please help!!!

CarolinaMom06

Asked by CarolinaMom06 at 3:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• My son is 3 also, he is not potty trained either. He had his 3 yr. check up and I brought this up with my dr., she told me that boys are harder to train and the more you want them to go the less they will. Her advise to me was just let it go for a couple months, do not mention the potty at all.
    Then wait for him to want something really bad and tell him that if he can fill up a sticker chart for one week that he can have the toy. Concidering that it is not a very expensive toy.
    Her only concern was that if he still was not potty trained by 4 then to bring him back in.

FYI: I am sick of buying diapers and wipes too.
    Anonymous

• My son was about three and a half.I gave stickers of his favorite thing.His was horses the pack i bought had different farm animals.If he peed no biggy at the time that was easier he got any animal .If he went number two in the potty he would get a horse.It took a few months but paid off in the end.Boys will do what boys want.A few fun things to help get him peeing in the potty.Put a cherrio,piece of tissue paper or something that dissolves very easy and tell him to hit them.This helps with this half of potty training.
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I have no idea, my son will be three at the end of next month. He has ZERO interest.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 4:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Does he use a potty chair or a potty seat? If a potty chair let him use it in other rooms in the house, except the kitchen, just give him privacy or let him pee outside if he wants, our son did that and still does occasionally..he's 4 now and has been trained since almost 3.

Also try letting him select underwears with his favorite charachters on them to encourage him to be a big boy. Give him an incentive or goal to reach and reward him by such and such date if he uses the potty every day he will get to do something he really enjoys or get something he really wants. All the above worked for us!

Best wishes...find me on twitter @littlebytesnews if you have more questions ☺
    littlebytes

Answer by littlebytes at 6:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008