I want to leave the LDS church...

I was born and raised in the LDS, aka Mormon religion. I believe a lot of it, however, there are some things I do not believe. I do not believe you can become a God in the next life. My Mom is very into the religion. Every time I have tried to leave, there is serious family drama. She even threw away all of my crosses. What would you recommend?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I too am LDS and I went inactive for a year and then came back. Like musical-monkey it only made me realize that I really did want to be LDS. It made my testimony grow.

But it is not for everyone. The Lord still loves you no matter what you choose to do. so follow your heart and do what you feel is right. Musical-Monkey is also right about the "being hard to leave the church thing" that is a myth.

the lds are not a cult. you are not bond to this religion at all. I know it may be hard to tell your parents that. I myself have had problems with my own parents not agreeing with me on certain issues. When I moved away from home it got a whole lot easier. if you live at home still, just try to stay strong till you can move. But no one is forcing you to stay LDS. the Lord wants us to choose our own path.
    BabyTannersMom

Answer by BabyTannersMom at 2:09 PM on Aug. 10, 2008

• I would advise talking to your bishop about the things that you do not believe in before doing anything drastic.
    samboswife

Answer by samboswife at 2:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would leave.. Because if you try to talk to your bishop they may more than likely talk you into staying.. God is the only Living God and no we can't and never will be Gods.. we well live with God in Eternal life thru Jesus Christ but no other.. Pray and try to find a support group that has left the church.. They will be able to help you in your walk.. God Bless...
    jenandrews

Answer by jenandrews at 3:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• From what I understand it can be very difficult to leave the LDS. Hopefully this will not be the case for you but just incase I would suggest making a list of all the reasons you want to leave. So you can refer back to it if anyone starts trying to talk you out of it. Study your reasons, know why you don't agree with those beliefs inside and out so if anyone does confront you, you can give them good reason with lots of knowledge and confidence. I would do this first before you tell anyone. I'm not LDS but I really enjoy reading about other religions and have some good resources if you would like help in researching your reasons, just shoot me a PM sometime :)

Anyone should be able to leave a church they don't like and/or don't agree with. This is part of having free will God has given us. I thought these 2 links were useful, hth:
    http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm
    http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon217.htm
    http://www.mormonnomore.com/
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 8:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You must do what is right for you.tell mom you honor and respect her but you need to make your own spiritual journey. you are sorry if this hurts her but you must look at other beliefs, then remind her about the verse that says parents must not provoke their children.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 10:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• If you want to leave then leave, you know you are not going to get any support from your family but you have to do what is right for you.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I would tell you to what you feel is right, and dont listen to anyone else except your own heart. I convert to islam from christiann My parents at first thought i was wierd but now the see how much i have changed and how happy i am so they are happy for me. But pleast do reasearch on all religions before you decied what is best for you. May god guied you to the right path. Please read about islam. THe true teachings.
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 3:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Jesus! I recommend Jesus. You need to first realize that since your mother is strong in her faith, you will be flying solo in your quest. I am a Christian. I actually have one friend who used to attend the Mormon services. I don't think her family was as serious as your mom is. But she found Jesus and has not looked back since. Follow your heart. My suggestion is to talk with a Christian counselor. A pastor perhaps.
    ashkyef3

Answer by ashkyef3 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• God gave us free will hun! use it, and good luck. Do what's in your heart NOT what others want.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I commend you for opening up and admitting that you do not believe some of the things you have been taught to believe, and not just trying to bury your questions. My husband is an ex-mormon and it has been hard for him with his family, but he is very happy that he examined the religeon and came to his own decision. So, follow what you feel in your heart is true and don't let anyone tell you that you just need to "try harder to believe!"
    JolnCourtney

Answer by JolnCourtney at 1:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2008