Isabella update & premature baby question

I posted a while ago about Isabella, my niece who I am adopting, who was born at 27 weeks weighing 2 pounds. I have been staying there for the past few days practically constantly and am so sleepless it's untrue. And she had to be intubated last night due to having trouble breathing. My husband's there now, but according to the nurses she's doing better than many do and she's not going down in weight which is an up point. People asked me to update so I did. And I also have a question since this is the questions section.. to moms of premature babies how did you cope with the not being able to be there every second? I mean like I feel awful as if I'm neglecting her when I'm away.. if that makes sense.. Thanks. Sorry if this is incoherent, I'm very tired and I'm also pregnant with three! So the brain isn't working properly. :|

haleykarson

Asked by haleykarson at 3:45 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its ok i felt helpless.
    i had my boys at 36wks.
    1 came home 1 stayed in the nicu for a week 1/2
    I didnt know my child. It was heart breaking exceppally since one was home
    I also couldnt hold him til the day b4 i brought him home.

All i can say is i wish you luck on your preg.
    Its all in good times. they have up and downs.
    See your lo when ever you can
    see if you can do what you can for you lo.

i hope this helps
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son was in the nicu 12 weeks.I went through guilt when i was away.All you can do is go there when you can.Keep calling about her.You need rest for those babies in your belly too.I wish you the best of luck.When are you due?
    carebear2025

Answer by carebear2025 at 3:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I'm not due till the 1st of June. Thanks for the advice people.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 3:57 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Hi, My son was born at 29 weeks, and weighed 2lbs and 16 1/2 inches long... He only had to stay in the hospital for 3 weeks....... He weighed 3 lbs 9 oz when he came... I know it seems like it will take forever , and u feel really baby for leaving you baby there. I did too, i felt like I was doing something wrong.... I spend the first week up there with him and then 12 hr a day after that... You need your rest. too. I had to find something to do when i was at home because all i did was think about my son, try to find something to do when u are home. Try to think of all the things you are going to do with he baby when they come home. That helped me a lot having something to look forward to. Well if you need to talk some more I here. I know what you are going through and Your baby will be in my prayers.
    Anonymous

• Sorry didnt mean to post anon
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 4:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My daughter was born at 37 weeks and stayed in the NICU for 5 days because she was unable to breathe at birth and had an infection in her lungs, she had to be on c-pap for 18 hours. She had an IV in her head and wires everywhere. It's really hard to be there 24/7 especially when you have other kids to be there for. Just trust in your heart that the nurses love your baby and are doing everything they can to keep them comfortable and healthy. I will be praying for your niece. I was born at 28 weeks weighing 2lbs. 5 oz. and was 12 inches long. I am living a very normal happy life and know that your little girl is a fighter and will pull through. Congratulaitons and your family is in my thoughts and prayers
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 4:29 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Well neither of my kids were preemies so i have no help there. Just wanted to say thanks for the update and I'm glad she's doing ok!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 6:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2008