What constitutes a "traditional" name?

When it comes to picking names, why do so many people say traditional (as in "why don't you use a good traditional name?") when what most of them mean is an english/anglo-saxon christian name? I have many friends who have been criticized for using names (or spellings) traditional to their ethnicity or family background.

cedailey

Asked by cedailey at 3:56 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i was never good with Reg names
    1 is
    Zander
    the other is very Tran. Ryan

mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Traditional as in something OLD and something a lot of other people have...lol
    But still yet - Elizabeth is one of my favorite names and it's VERY traditional!
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Traditional = old.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:14 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• When I hear people say traditional it makes me think of names like Mary, John, Sarah, David.. etc.

My kids names aren't traditional, but I picked them because they were somewhat Spanish sounding.. Josiah and Joslyn.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 4:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I think of traditional as being names that have been around for ages, decades, or centuries. Names such as Peter, John, David, Barbara, Elizabeth, Mary, etc. are old but very cherished names.
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 4:34 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Um, d'oh.

I'm Anglo-Saxon, so if I say "traditional", that is the tradition I harken back to.

If I was from France or Nigeria or Puerto Rico, my traditions would be different.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I do not agree that traditional necessarily means "old". A traditional name to me means one that is not trendy and is just very sensible. As an example, I'll use the name Abigail. Abigail happens to be a traditional name and also a popular name right now. Yes, it has been around for a long time, but it has not lost it's appeal. It's what I call a sensible name. It does not belong to any particular era and still holds onto it's stability. The name Ethel can be used in contrast. While I have nothing against the name Ethel, I think it could be fairly classified as "old". It was a trendy name several decades ago, which has lost most of its appeal today. When you hear of someone with the name Ethel, you can pretty safely assume they are at least 50 years old because of when the name was popular. The same will hold true for most of the trendy names of today. Eventually, they will just seem old.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 5:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Yikes I suppose I have very UN-traditional boys names, but VERY traditional middle names....Gage William, and Karson Edward....hmmmm
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2008