Preventing breast milk from drying up.

My friend says I should pump to prevent my breast milk from drying up and says he sleeps too long up to 4 hours, in between feedings. Plus I will have to go back to work in 5 weeks and really dont want to put my little Lennox on formula. Any suggestions? So far I have enough and he is 6 days old.

Waitaminute808

Asked by Waitaminute808 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 29, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you don't need to pump until he is 3 weeks old... you have to adjust to his supply/demand, then gradually start pumping one or two bottles a day at 3 weeks, chances are when you go to work, you will pump enough during that timing to feed him the next day... I always was only 1 day ahead, I didn't store milk and freeze it, cause I made ample amounts for his next day.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:36 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• You will have to pump when you return to work. Other than that, enjoy the 4-hour sleep stretches!
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 3:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Let him tell you when he's hungry. Feed on demand. Best way to keep supply up, no matter how much he's sleeping.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• I ate oatmeal and drink at least 64oz of water a day. This helped me :)
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 4:06 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• drink lots of water and eat heaps of good food
    izzy2010

Answer by izzy2010 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• eat oatmeal every morning, drink mother's milk tea, and pump when it's full. I've been pumping for 5 months and starting to drink out, b/c I missed couple of pumping in 3 days so it's running low. I only pump 3 times a day. Enjoy the 4 hours sleep, before you know they sleep less and less
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• You could try pumping while you feed him if you are really worried about it. That way you can relax while he sleeps and you will also start building your milk supply for when you go back to work.
    kmqw229

Answer by kmqw229 at 10:39 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• No pumping, only nurse on-demand.
    Make sure you're hydrated, co-sleep, and if possible, wear your baby in a carrier, too.
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:58 AM on Jul. 30, 2011