My 16month old son has a bad habit of when he doesn't get his way or upset he slaps my hand or face............If I smack him back that's not teaching him not to hit, any ideas? I tryed just holding his hands & firmly saying NO! hitting but he just does it again

FRANCINE818

Asked by FRANCINE818 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my boys are 17months
    i tell them no up to 3 times. The 3rd i pick them up make them face the opp. way then i am so i cant see there face. hold them there a min...
    after done turn them around mama said no sir we dont______!!!
    let them go.
    usully work
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Mine tried this for a bit at the same age, he's just a little roughian though. I would yell "ow" and act over dramatic, them put him down and walk away. it didn't take him long to figure out he was hurting mommy and stopped. He's 19 months now and such a sweeite anytime anyone says ow he comes running over and says "okay?" then gives kisses.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 4:11 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Tell him "NO HITTING!" and place him in his playpen and turn your back. Leave him in time-out for 1.5 mintues (1 minute per year of age). He will not like your stern voice or being ignored and will quickly put two-and-two together and drop the hitting habit.

With my little girl, if I act hurt and make a dramatic scene, she thinks it's funny and will do it again just to get a reaction out of me. So take a look at how your child would react before you try that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• with my dd, we tell her no hitting. Then say "be nice" and rub her hand on our face where she hit. Now, she will hit and I say "be nice" and she rubs my face and says nice. It's not a perfect fix, but it does help make her more aware.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My mom heard me getting on to my daugther the other day for the same reason. Then she informed me that with toddlers (always on the move and focusing on everything else) they usually only take in the last word or so that you say. So instead of saying "No hitting" you would say "hitting is a no, no" so that the last word that they hear is not hit.
    I didn't know about it, but started rephrasing what I was saying and it has worked wonders. Now I'm not saying she has fully stopped, but it happens far and few inbetween.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Ugh, my 14 month old daughter is the same way, and she's been doing this for at least a month now. Whenever she doesn't get her way she will scream and flail her arms. Most times she even tries to hit me in my hand or my face (if I am holding her and she's facing me). It's very frustrating and it's embarrassing even (for me) when we are out in public, say riding the bus, and I am holding her and she tries holding on to a pole (which are full of germs, so I tell her NO) and she gets mad at me and will hit me in my face and scream at me. Sometimes I flick her hand just to get her to stop, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I like some of the suggestions that other moms have given, so that is something I will have to try. Thanks for posting this question!
    MommyandWifey07

Answer by MommyandWifey07 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2008