My pitbull will be almost a year when I have my baby... how good are dogs around babies & or how long should I wait before I put the baby around the dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Pets

• You should introduce the babies things as soon as you can. Let him wander in the nursery and get used to all of the new smells in there, and when the baby comes home, let him have a blanket that smells like the baby (preferably one that the baby has spit up on, as gross as that sounds!)

Your dog already knows you are pregnant. But he is still used to being "the baby" and is going to feel put out and probably pout when you bring the baby home. But you need to not keep baby a secret...have hubby hold him back a little, and show the baby to him and see how he reacts. If it seems good, let him smell the baby.

With my dog, he acted like she was a puppy, and brought ALL his toys from his box and laid them at her feet, lol.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• never leave the baby alone with the dog.
    A dog is what you make it. EVERY dog can turn evil..

yes asap. let it get use to the baby and the babies things
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• umm hello a pittbull thats dumb to even bring your baby into the same house as that dog have you ever seen on the news what those dogs have done to babies dumb
    Anonymous

• ANON: like Mama2twins said, a dog is what you make it. Not all pits are evil man eating animals
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:27 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• yep..hell we had a dalmation you know how loving they are...mine bit my sister cuz my sister kept hitting and pulling her tail. So yeah she bit her. We did not put her down... good thing it didnt happen again and she sleeps with my sister now
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Anon is an idiot. If you can, have hubby bring home something with baby's scent on it before you bring baby home. A blanket perhaps. Pit bulls are great dogs, and when raised propely are great with children. I have a four year old Pit Bull and an 8 month old baby. A good place to meet other Pit Bull owners and get advice, ect regarding Pit Bulls is Pit Bull Forum. Its a great site. I'm on it under screen name SupriseInside.

NewArrival

Answer by NewArrival at 6:24 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I agree with NewArrival. Whoever posted that anonymous post doesn't know what they are talking about. I have three children and ALL of them were raised around our pittbulls. stereotypes of pittbulls is sad because it is what you make of them or teach them.as a general rule pitts are very loyal and protective of children. they are big babies themselves always craving attention and loving to play.our vet recommends them as opposed to other kinds of dogs.like everyone else said introduce baby as soon as possible and just make sure and continue to give your dog lots of attention along the way. good luck to you and yours and your upcoming delivery!
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 7:40 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Argh! Again, another ignorant anon that posts something based on absolutely NO research, just opinions.

I own a pit and have owned her since she was a few months old. She is the same age as my 5 1/2 year old son. I now have 3 kids and she's never once tried to eat them, haha. She's a very loyal dog and very protective of us. Her best friends are CATS!

Just give the dog some time to get used to the baby like you would with ANY dog. The dog isn't going to freak out and take a bite out of the baby, don't worry.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Since the only person to speak out against Pits as a breed posted anonomously, I think it's safe to assume that they weren't confident enough in their opinion to post under their real identity. Or they just wanted to make the OP feel bad about their pet.
    Aside from that post, I think OP got very good advice regarding her dog and hopes she checks out the Pit Bull forum for future tips.
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 10:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I put my baby on the floor (in the carseat still) in the living room for my rottweiler to sniff at him as soon as we came home from the hospital. Your dog knows you are pregnant and will respond to the baby. That was 4 years ago. I just had a baby in Sep and had the same rottie and two other dogs, one mutt and one pitt... I did the same thing and all of the dogs have been wonderful with the baby. Dogs are usually motherly or protective of infants. Anon has obviously not met my pitt... she is the most delicate, loving dog I have ever had. She is the best with the baby! People like that are the reason the poor breed gets treated so poorly. Ignorance is not bliss.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2008