Kids Smart Phones!

My friend got her kids cell phones. Her daughter Karley is 11 and her son Kaden is 9! Karley got an iPhone 4 and Kaden has an Atrix 4g!!! These kids text like there is no tomorrow and my friend says her bill has more than quadrupled anyway she pays $80 a month for their unlimited data plans I can't imagine this! It annoys me that this family is a little short on money and is wasting it on the most high end phones for a 9 and 11 year old! Does this annoy anyone else!? I mean I have an iPhone but I need it for video chat with my husband who is in the army and i use it for practical reasons and not just to play games!

Jenny.Ann85

Asked by Jenny.Ann85 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Bahahahahaha. I'm an anti-smartphone 22 year old.
    My kids are going to hate me, but they don't need a cell phone until they have a car or start working. Tough shit until then.
    I didn't have my own til I was 18, same with DH.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 6:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• My kids won't get cell phones until they get a job/start driving. I have an iPhone, but it's one of the older generations--the 3g I believe. It does seem pointless to me to let your young kids get cell phones. But, I guess to each their own...
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 7:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• My younger girls won't get cell phones until they start driving and my oldest Gracie is 12 and is about to get one the most basic one but only because she is on a traveling Cross Country team and travels all over Minnesota and Wisconsin. I mean these kids spend sooo much time on their phones, hours at a time!!!
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• My son has one but we can more than afford it. He doesn't text all day and doesn't spend all his time on it. We are his parents and get to limit how long he does anything. The friend isn't bright because she can't afford it and apparently has no control over her children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• yeah she is struggling to support the family of 4 kids and she goes out and buys children smart phones that they are obsessing over.
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Jul. 30, 2011

• I'm going to go by the rule my parents had. If I wanted a cell phone, I had to pay for it myself. You'd be surprised how non-essential a cell phone--especially a smart phone--is when you have to foot the bill yourself. To this day, I don't use one.
    GlowWorm889

Answer by GlowWorm889 at 3:51 AM on Jul. 31, 2011

• my oldest bugging me 4 a cell for as she calls it emergencies number 1 she is at school or with me. so why would she need 1 right now
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:39 PM on Jul. 31, 2011

• It's really none of our business.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 4:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2011