Does anyone have a problem with their child banging their head on the floor when they are frustrated or don't get what they want. My daughter does this and is 17 months old - the doctor says she will grow out of it but I would like to know how to stop it with out giving in.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to find a new doctor. That's a sign of Autism.
    QueenWeibchen

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• This is going to sound awful....but you must ignore this! I have stepped over my child having a temper tantrum and told them very calmly..."darling, come to the carpet. I don't want you to hurt yourself." My pediatrician agrees that it is tough love. If you give in to these fits...you re-enforce the behavior...Never give them what they want during an episode. I will wait until they have chilled out. Which is not long, if they are not getting attention. Then I will calmly ask them "now, what do you need." and they are to ask in a normal voice ...no whining or screaming. If they whine or scream...to the time out chair. It is sooo hard being the Parent, but it does pay off with consistancy. I just have to give them "the look" now and most of these tantrums stop cold. good luck!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A sign of Autism? are you kidding me!???

I totally agree with MommasCooCoo. Its just another tantrum to ignore. I'm a big believer of positive reinforcement. My daughter used to do this and doesn't anymore because I don't give her the time of day when she tries pulling the head banging stunt on me. Once she calms down, then I ask her what she needs and she will usually tell me. Dont worry. It will stop.
    rynsmommy

Answer by rynsmommy at 2:06 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

rynsmommy

• When my son did this type of thing as a toddler, we told him 'no hitting!', just as if he had hit someone else. Yes, it could be a sign of something more serious... but does he have any other 'symptoms'? It is VERY COMMON toddler behavior, and he will most likely grow out of it. Don't make a big deal out of it when he does it, that will just encourage it. Be gentle, but firm. Good luck, Mom.
    fallenleaves

Answer by fallenleaves at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my niece used to do that as well, she eventually grew out of it, I wouldn't worry
    prettyeyes412

Answer by prettyeyes412 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I babysat a little boy who did this and now my daughter does it. My trick is to completly ignore them when they do it. i will just go in the other room. Sometime i has to say oh wow..this is so neat, to try to get their attention to something else. and well it worked cuz they no longer do it.
    sheismylife607

Answer by sheismylife607 at 5:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• my son did the same thing from the time he was 7mths until he was 16 mths old alot of the time he was getting tired (some kids pull hair) i was very scared somethin was wrong my dr. said he'd grow out of it 2 but i felt like it took forever. He use to bang his head on everything ,but just like a tantrum u have to ignore them and walk away the less attention that they get the less they will do it :)
    kristiH

Answer by kristiH at 5:49 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son is 16 months also and started doing this only a couple of times a few months ago but seems to be doing it more frequently. I think he does it more when he is teething plus he's getting to the age where he wants to talk and he can't so he's getting frustrated. I kind of dropped my jaw the first few times it happened but totally ignored it. My daughter never did this. He is a very bright little boy and loves to study and figure out everything but hasn't figured out the talking thing yet so seems to do this when he is hungry or tired or doesn't get his way and can't tell us.
    HappyDays007

Answer by HappyDays007 at 9:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My dd used to bang her head on the floor, or on tables, she would have bruises on her forehead...but I didn't give in to her, I would sometimes try to slip a pillow or something under her head! But eventally she stopped this, when she realized it wouldn't work and she wouldn't get what she wanted in that way. My dd is now 25 years old and perfectly normal! Just don't give in to it...it's just a tantrum.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008