I need help!

It's happened again... and again... and again... in school. This time the principal called me.She (10 yo dd) and 2 others were caught spitting on another girl on the bus. The mom called the school. A week ago her teacher called me she was caught throwing a snowball (along w/another boy) at a house. I could go on and on w/past episodes. I wonder if she does it for the thrill of it all?? Any one else have troubles like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• I understand the spitting episode might be of some concern but many kids throw snowballs at houses. She didn't throw them at a person. It sounds like she's just following the crowd. Tell her why her behavior is wrong and not to always do what others do. It's the old adage " if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Just talk with her. She is young and just needs to be guided. Remind her of what is right and wrong and how to treat people and things. I still teach my grandkids the Golden Rule "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you".

Answer by admckenzie at 10:18 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I did at a catholic school. My son got disciplined for breaking a worm in half! Give me a break
    Anonymous

• She's following the crowd. Have you tried to put her in after school activities? Expand her horizons.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:49 AM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The spitting is the only thing I'd be worried about thats mean. Honestly my therory with that is do on to others as they do on to you. Pretend she has gum in her hair... really play it out... have chewed gum in your mouth and when she gets off the bus and is walking around the house be like honey come here you have something in your hair... and then just lay out the act... OMG someone spit gum in your hair and take the piece out of your mouth (make sure the gum is on the back of her head wink wink) and show it to her... her feelings are going to be hurt because she thinks someone has just spit gum in her hair. And then ask her why would someone spit gum in your hair? Shes probably going to say IDK maybe cry or get upset but after you've played it off you can tell her it was a trick and ask her if she realizes how awful it must of felt for that other kid to get spit on.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 12:04 PM on Dec. 24, 2008

• (Don't actually put it in her hair just act like you pulled it out of her hair)
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 12:05 PM on Dec. 24, 2008