Not Growing right?

My daughter Gracie was in the 94th percentile at 4 years old she was 45lbs and in the 92nd percentile and now she is a 59 pound 12 year old in the 2nd percentile. Gracie is an extremely active child she runs at least 4 and a half miles a day. Does anyone else have this problem?

Jenny.Ann85

Asked by Jenny.Ann85 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 29, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• That is a big change. What does the ped say about it?

Is she eating enough calories to sustain THAT much exercise? 4 1/2 miles a day is a lot for a growing child.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:53 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• She has an appointment with her doctor next week but until then I don't know if she is.
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• I had a similiar problem with my oldest in 6-8th grade. He was running track and began losing weight. There was a point we were afraid of anorexia. Our pediatrcian had us do a daily caloriew coutn for a week. He was intaking an averge 4500 k-cal a day and still not maintaining weght. Dr. said it was just his hormones in conjunction with a growth spurt. In the 8th grade we had to pull hikm off the cross country team at Drs orders. He was so mad at us. His sophomore year things kind of fell into placce and he ran CC for the last 3 yrs of HS. You are dead on to contact the Dr. It can be a lot of things that cause it. I hope its as simple as our son. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Has her height slipped, too?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:00 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Her height is 4'11 she has always been a little short so we're not to concerned about that.
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• I am glad you are taking her in to be checked out. There are a lot of things, like GrnEyed mentioned, that could be going on. The doctor should be able to help out. It is a really good that you are checking this out now, too, because lack of nutrition can permanantly stunt her growth.

Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:13 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• You can always add pediasure to her breakfasts to help fill in gaps until you can figure out what's going on.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• I have been having her drink 3 glasses of milk a day to make sure she is getting calcium and we are following the food pyramid but she is not gaining any weight. Gracie has lost 4 pounds since this time last year.
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• Gracie has not yet had her period so she hasn't gained the weight that she probably will from that and she does have a pretty small frame.
    Jenny.Ann85

Comment by Jenny.Ann85 (original poster) at 10:23 PM on Jul. 29, 2011

• her period may be delayed from the lack of body fat and large amount of exercise. Is she doing competitive sports? WHat is her coach saying?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 10:26 PM on Jul. 29, 2011