My oldest is 19 months! I know that I need to start potty training but I am a first time mom and I have no idea where to start? help!!!

karissamo

Asked by karissamo at 4:49 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well first step is: ask yourself if you are ready to go through all the "trouble" yet. Your child should be ready to start potty at 10months.
    Its a lot of "work" to potty train a toddler. Our daughter is 17months, we are trying to get her out of diapers since 5-6 months but she is still in diapers.

Well we do it like this:

she wakes up and i sit her on the potty
    after breakfast again
    before nap
    after nap
    then after snack (in the afternoon)
    then before she goes to bed
    when we are at home i will let her walk around without a diaper so that she feels that its wet and eeew when she pees herself.

you def. need to have a schedule when exactly you will sit your child on the potty. if its not always the same time then its gonna take forever.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I didn't start potty training until she was 2, she didn't stop having accidents until 3.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I waited until the children were dry at night. This happened about age 3. Then, since you don't want to switch back to diapers once you start, I chose a weekend, and we started Saturday morning and went to the potty every half hour all day. By the evening they were mostly trained. On Sunday we had a few accidents. By Monday the kids were in training pants with no accidents except on rare occasions.

Answer by Bmat at 5:37 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I never tried to potty train my children. I let all 3 of them do it when they were ready. I simply bought a potty chair and told them what it was for every so often. The worse mistake somebody can make is to try to force your child to be ready when they are not.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My son just turned 3 and we're training now. He's been in underwear all day and we had one big pee accident and one "just started" to poop accident. Both this morning.

My 2 year old is showing no interest in the potty. He can barely even say "potty". I don't see the point in pushing the issue and just making it a battle. I'd rather he want to go rather than feel he's being forced into it right now.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Who says you "need to"?
    If she's ready to learn, then yes, it's time to start. If not, then not. This is not an age based thing.

Get the book "The No-Cry Potty Training Solution" or another good book that has several different methods in it. Ready the chapter about "Is she ready?". If she's not, then read her picture books about learning, take her into the bathroom with you, talk about how she'll use the potty one day too, start emptying her poopy diapers into the potty in front of her.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Oh, and I started full on training with my daughter at 27 months. Before that, there was no way outside of physical force or duct tape to keep her on the potty. And no, I didn't use force or tape. Once she was willing to sit on the potty for several mintues, we started.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I feel like if you push them it takes longer. We tried potty training our 2 year old daughter for months and nothing happened. I decided to let it go, and try again in a few months, well one morning she woke up and decided to go potty. We were amazed, and since then we've only had a handfull of accidents and no pull-ups at bed either.
    melissa0309

Answer by melissa0309 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i tried with my 2 1/2 year old son when he turned 2--he would sit on potty for about 30 sec then go pee/poop as soon as he would stand up and iwould get the diaper on him. so we stopped and we are probably not gonna start trying again till he's 3. they say boys are harder to train anyway!!!!
    scooter3017

Answer by scooter3017 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• My daughter is 23 months and i been trying the potty training thing, at first she had no intrest looked at the potty chair like a toy, i took it away until she took a intrest, ( whe she started following me to the bathroom) i brang the chair back out, i still have a problem with peeing but she loves pooping on the pott ( she hates poop i her diaper). Good luck and remeber all children are diffrent some potty train early some late, take your time and dont push it make it fun and make sure you give them extra congrats when your child goes on the potty, it will make them want to keep doing it.
    sheismyangel

Answer by sheismyangel at 11:51 PM on Dec. 20, 2008