Any mommies with autistic children out there? How do you handle the holiday issues with them?

I know that four year old Elijah has hated opening gifts. He just never got it so this year I have been having him open a little gift every day for a few weeks. Something like candy where he can get the association across that gift opening is fun. It seems to be working although I still think that opening several gifts at once is going to be too much.

I worry about him and I want to make sure that he is not over stimulated at Christmas. Do you have suggestions or things that have worked for you?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:20 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in General Parenting

• I have 6 yr old twins who are both autisic and had the same problem. One year it took them 4 days to open all their gifts. I let them take it at their pace. This year my Anna cannot wait for presents. She even likes seeing others open theirs. He'll get it, just let him go at his own pace.
    Have a nice holiday (even if it lasts a week LOL).
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• I have an autistic son but never had a problem with the gift opening? Wish I could help.

Answer by gemgem at 5:21 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Just take it slowly. If he can't do it all at once then don't force it. It is supposed to be fun and if it becomes too much then just let him be. I have 4 with autism with one of my babies on the way for adoption having autism too, so that will be 5. My four year old probably won't open all the presents but if not then one of us will do it for him with him on our lap. Don't stress. Just relax and go with the flow! Merry Christmas!
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 20, 2008