Throwing up mucus.

My son is just about 6 months and I went to play with him and noticed his bib had green mucus on it with his spit up. I am getting over a cold myself and I assume he caught it. I don't have a working humidifier and my dr. told me not to let him sleep on his back but he stays awake if I don't! Any helpful remedy's to make him more comfortable?

andrearaeb

Asked by andrearaeb at 5:50 PM on Dec. 20, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, don't worry about the throwing up mucus part because that is how the babies get it out of their systems. I would use normal saline drops in his nose and suction it out really well. I would get a vaporizer for him, or simply if he gets too congested, take him into the bathroom, shut the door and run all the hot water, let him sit in there for a while to steam him up really well. I never heard of not letting his sleep on his back, just prop him up with a pillow.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 5:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• put him on his side see if he will be willing to sleep like that
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• warm bath helps break it up. those saline drops and use the blub thing to suck it out. hope it helps.
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 6:01 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Why wouldn't he want him to sleep on his back? Maybe he meant flat on his back. I would prop him up by putting a pillow under his matress, or let him sleep in a bouncy seat or swing while he is sick. Throwing up the mucus isn't a big deal though... the snot is just draining to his tummy and makes him fee icky... but it's better in their tummy then in the nose where they can't breath well and then don't eat well... he just might spit up junk more often while he is sick.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2008